Yesterday was the start of a new week and you know what that means. A new altered playing card challenge. This week Claudine picked the theme of Steam Punk. I love Steam Punk but really don't do it enough. Anyway this was a fun challenge for me.
Here is what Claudine did:
I started by covering my card with a black metallic piece of paper. Then I took my hexagon stencil and using liquid embossing ink did heat embossing with copper embossing powder. Then I cut my cogs and gears off of a card base file I have and re-sized in Studio. After they were cut out of Kraft card I heat embossed with Antique Gold embossing enamel. My embossing ink pad is dirty with eggplant embossing powder due to an accident. In this case it gave me this nice rusty look. In places the embossing ink did not take so the color of the card shows through. I think it gives it more of a distress aged look. I didn't get my paper on straight and part of the playing card was showing I decided to experiment and took a Fancy Pants antique text stamp and stamped on electrician tape using embossing ink. Then heat embossed with silver. Who knew you could heat emboss electrician tape. Now I'll have to see if I can heat emboss on duct tape or transparent tape. I used my label maker for my sentiment and tore a piece of old typewriting paper to place it on. I decided to go with this sentiment because too often I don't think people see the beauty in old things and old people.
Claudine used drywall mesh for her card. Alas I have not seen mine since my last move. It is probably in a box which I have not gone through. I can't imagine I would get rid of it but it is a possibility. I improvised and cut some netting which garlic had come in. I applied gesso on my card and embedded the netting in the gesso. In a few places the netting is not down tight but I think it gives the card charm. When the gesso was dry I was going to drag my card through watered down paint. However it did not work and I had to use a brush. I mixed on my mat ivy green, copper, and ivory paint. Using a bristle brush which ended up with all those colors although the ivy green mixed more with the ivory I painted my card. The frame piece is one I turned into a cutting file from a jpg image. I heat embossed it with the antique gold embossing enamel. Normally when I use this file I print and cut a pocket watch to adhere where what looks like a watch is. The girl is a Dover clipart image that I converted to Sepia. I was going to use her on another project and changed my mind. I found her when sorting through a bunch of papers yesterday. I really need to get organized. The Live, Love, Laugh was printed once again with the label maker. In this case I wanted the background to show through.
There you have it my altered cards for this week. I can't wait to see what next week will bring.
I will have workmen the rest of the week so my boys and I will be holed up in my craft room. I will continue the organizing and rearranging I've been doing as well as playing. I bought some glitter markers on clearance and can't wait to play with my air brush. I also have some techniques I want to try.
Thank you for stopping by and do stop on by again to see what I am doing. :-) I also will be doing reviews of products . Right now I'm thinking the fourth Friday of the month. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!