Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Altered Playing Card Week 20

Hi everyone yesterday was another challenge for creating altered playing cards. The theme for this week is hearts/love. Claudine used some non traditional colors for her cards. I did sneak some pink in my one card because I couldn't remember what colors she used. I usually try to use the colors she uses as it gets me out of a rut of using the same colors or the same combination of colors.

Without further ado here are my two:
I had gessoed using a stencil during the prep of my cards. So I decided to go ahead and use that card. I decided to use my Distress Paints instead of regular acrylic paints. I daubed the paints out on a piece of wax paper and used my mister. Then laid the card down in the mixture. I did place the card more than once down overlapping it a little bit to make sure the card was completely covered.. I love the resulting background. Of course since I got too much of the marmalade on the paper as well as the other colors I had to mop up the excess paint on some small pieces of card I have for future projects. I love how this background turned out.

I stamped my image with white embossing ink onto pattern paper from DCWV Black Currant collection. The paper I used has a subtle gray pattern. I used  Ranger Archival ink and white pearl fine detail embossing powder. I colored in the heart and then thought it looked too blah so took my black glaze pen and drew a heart. I then used the clear glaze pen but it doesn't show in the photo.

I found this pretty black filigree tape at Dollar Tree.  I didn't realize that the tape was actually cut out. Now tomorrow when I go back I hope they have more of it. I also found some neat postcard tape there. After placing the tape on the card I took my white gel pen and colored in the flowers. I didn't realize that the paint was not completely dry in a few places the paint color mixed in with the ink.

I need to work on my decorative printing. It has been a long time since I've done any decorative printing. I used a white gel pen on electrical tape.


For this card I used Daffodil Apple Barrel acrylic paint onto my card back. Since the bottle said it could be used on metal I didn't think I would need to coat the card with gesso.  The paint allowed the border to show through. I get messy doing paint splattering so I put a red Sharpie in my air brush and set the tip so I would get splatters instead of a flow.I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do my splattering while the paint was wet or not but no problems.

I decided instead of drawing to use a Karen Foster Valentine stamp set which a good friend gave me. I stamped my hearts on the same pattern paper using blue ink. When I cut out the middle heart I cut off the flourish at the bottom. For some reason I've never stamped on pattern paper. Probably because I'm too afraid of messing things up and wasting paper.

For some reason my dots look green to me in this photo. I used a blue Glaze pen to make my dot border.

I was going to use the love stamp on electrical tape but discovered that my ink smeared and the white pearl embossing powder was too fine so covered the whole tape not just where it was stamped. I ended up stamping and embossing on black paper and tearing it.

I'm not as happy with my stamped image on the first card. I think I should have stamped and embossed it with a different color. Perhaps not colored the heart. However, on the whole I'm happy the way the cards turned out.

It is back to rearranging my pantry and getting the food out of the living room. It took maintenance longer for the job which required access to the pantry than I was initially told. The pantry needed organization any way so having to take everything out has motivated me.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!



2 comments:

  1. Wow, these are terrific. Great techniques. You put me to shame as I hardly do "techniques."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear your pantry is back to normal.
    Great cards. As I have often said, you are far more adventurous than I am.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)