Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Stars Are Out

 After seeing a card which used a star border die  I decided to make my own star border in Studio. Only thing is that once I made the border I was totally clueless with how I was going to use it. So for a month now the cut out border has been sitting around waiting. I had ideas but none of them really looked good to me.

LOL! Then while soaking in the tub inspiration hit. I could cut a panel with a star cutout and place an image behind it and use the star border as a border. The smaller star cutouts could be used on the panel. The inspiration for making the file used the cutouts as part of the layout so why not.

 I just love seeing how people do things. Most of all though I love my Studio software and Cameo as I'm not limited to size like I would be with a die. Also I have more money to buy crafting goodies as I can make my own files. :-)

OK I'll show you the card. I know you are holding your breath just waiting to see it. Here is my bath tub inspiration. (Click to enlarge)

Originally I was going to use my blue glitter card stock for the panel with the cut out star. However, Cameron my cutting machine was doing weird things. The next best thing was cutting it out of pale blue card stock which I happened to have. I just had to try out my new metallic chalks so I added chalk. The sheen is really subtle.

 I have no idea where I got the graphic nor where the original one is.  This graphic I added the butterflies in a program which is no longer available online. It allowed you to add animated shapes to your static image.

The gold star frame was an after thought. After I had glued my image behind the cutout I realized that something was needed. I ungrouped my panel in Studio and took the star and did an external offset. It ended up being a little larger than the panel but I think I like the two edges hanging over.

The star border was easy to make using the star in the library. Resizing and offsetting the star and then duplicating and welding the stars together. Originally I was going to heat emboss with gold both the cut out stars and the border. I decided instead to use my Twinkle glitter paint. I really like the contrast it gives.

Where do you find inspiration? If you have a cutting machine do you see a file or even a commercial die and think I can make my own file? OK last question. Should I put this card in my generic stash or my holiday stash? It really could go either way.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving comments.I have more Holiday/Christmas cards in the works. Ideas were coming fast and furious while soaking in the tub. I really need to have in the tub area a waterproof notepad and pen. LOL!

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!



5 comments:

  1. The card is lovely, I love the border and frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It's funny where we get our best ideas - usually when we are not near our supplies. Thanks for showing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty border & frame, Myoriah. Hope you enjoyed your soak too!
    Tine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myorhia, that is such a pretty star border, thanks for sharing, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! the image is soft and pretty, the border is perfect and the image outlined in the star is a nice touch. Maybe I should go soak....lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)