Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dresser For Ali

I just finished making a dresser for Ali. I wanted something special to put the jewelry in that I have made for Ali for Christmas. When I saw the 3 drawer dresser in the Silhouette store I knew it was perfect. This is the second one I've made. I messed up the first which was made with white card stock and covered with paper. I thought I would use Mod Podge to coat it so it could be wiped down. For this one I used my plastic coated glitter paper. I must have gotten a good blade because I didn't have to double cut the card stock. Only thing I don't like is that the fold lines are ugly. I will find my Stazon teal ink and ink the edges or buy some washi tape for the corners.
For the drawers I coated the front with Gesso which I had mixed soap dye in. Next time I'll use fabric dye or something else. Only because the dye is water soluble and so when I put Mod Podge on the drawers it was acting like a paint and smearing. I did get some interesting looking drawers though.

Although this dresser has finger holes for the drawers I thought it would be easier for Ali if she had knobs to pull open the drawers with. After much thinking I came up with these. I saw this pattern when looking through my images and thought it would be perfect for knobs. I printed and cut them out. Then glued three together to give the knob substance. Then heat embossed with Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel. I glued a bead for the knob shank.

These are stickers which I have had for a few years. I attached them to card stock and then cut around them. I used strips of card stock to glue them on top. Don't overlook stickers you may have on hand or overlook stickers at a dollar store as they make nice embellishments when stuck on card stock.



 I  happened to have these left over beads from a project a few decades back and thought they would make excellent shanks for the knobs If you are going to make knobs like these use a good adhesive to glue the bead on. For these I used E6000.

As you can see the drawers are a good size. In fact I'll have room to put other small gifts in for her. I already found at a dollar store a small plastic purse with lip gloss in it.


After the Holidays are over I'll be making more of these dressers for putting craft things in like buttons and brads. I think they will be cute in my crafting area.

That's all folks for now. Off to make more gifts and finish cards. Thank you for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again.

2 comments:

  1. She is going to love it. You made it so perfectly girly, girl. Way to go Myoriah. Another beautiful gift will be on it's way to bring joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect gift for a little girl... my nieces have all sorts of things they would tuck into those drawers. Very clever idea to create the drawer pulls... I'm sure she will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)