Sunday, September 30, 2012

October Card Challenge

Over at the Silhouette Plus Forum it is time for another challenge. Leaves are changing colors, there is definitely a chill in the air and mounds of pumpkins are seen everywhere. So in celebration of Autumn we will be using the color palette from Design Seeds featuring pumpkin soup to make cards.
Unfortunately with my printer sometimes what I see on my screen and what prints are different. However, I attempted to get as close as I could using the color picker in Studio to duplicate these colors. Also the leaves on this card started out being the two orange colors. Opps! I forgot when inkjet ink gets wet it bleeds. They did however turn out I think really cool. O.K. Without further ado here is my card.


The pattern paper,flower and sentiment is from the Thanksgiving free digikit from Daisy Trail. If you do not want to pay for Craft Artist in order to use the kits you can download Craft Artist Compact and export the files to use in Studio or another program. I also discovered that some of the images I could do a cut and paste with.  Others did not copy well. I did use Craft Artist to manipulate the words before exporting. Then it was easy to trace them for cutting and resize. I did use Dimensional Magic for the button in the center of the flower.

The scallop label and leaves are free library files in Studio. Normally I would cut out two of the label files but in order to save paper I layered the smaller and set the lines to no cut. After the leaves were cut out I crumpled ,unfolded and with my foam cosmetic sponge dabbed on vintage photo distress ink. Then crumpled them again and got them wet squeezing the water out. Paper is delicate when wet so if you do this carefully unfold them.

I decided to tie the orange ribbon around the pattern panel.  After much playing around I ended up tying a square knot and notching the end to match the leaves. It looked too stark to me but everything was already glued down. Then I spied a piece of scrap drywall mesh which was the perfect length so heat embossed with gold. After gluing it on I just had to trim the one side as it was too wide.

My cards almost always evolve while I'm working on them and this was no exception. I looked at the card and it was off balance the way I had arranged everything. So although I was trying to conserve paper I ended up using another sheet to print and cut the sentiment.  Oh well the left over card stock will get used for experimenting or in another project. On the whole I'm pleased the way this turned out and I have one Thanksgiving card made. :-)

I encourage you to join the card challenge which will run through the end of October. If you want to fill with color in Studio the easiest way  is to snip the color palette and copy and paste it into your work space.

By the time you read this I'll probably be on a plane or already at my sister's enjoying our play date. I hope to have some pictures to post of some of the projects we do. I also plan to stop and visit with a niece and craft.

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again.

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty card. I subscribe to Design Seeds and just love their colour combinations. You did a nice job manipulating the words. I can't do that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)