Friday, September 7, 2012

Christmas Card Challenge

Over at Silhouette Plus there is a Christmas card challenge going on. Not just any Christmas card though will do. The challenge is to use elements from a kit and use the  print and cut technique. One of the links for free kits was Cajoline Scrap. Believe you me you  could spend hours looking through all the free kits. I was going to share the link where I found the kit I used but I can not find this particular one among the myriad of free Christmas kits.I even entered the folder name in search it is Vintage Christmas Mini  Kit if anyone would like to try to find it.

Here is the card I finished today. I think I should have made a winter scene as it was 90 degrees before noon today. Luckily I had things cut out so could put the card together in my cooler bedroom.


I bought over a year ago a package of assorted pre-scored blank cards. I'm not all that thrilled with this particular color but thought that it would go good with this card. I also had an aha moment. I could tape the edges and paint the card base leaving a border of the  original color. Since I bought two bottles of the red extreme glitter I decided to see what that looked like.(I would use a thick paint if you decide to do this. I think the thinner paints would bleed inside. Of course you might like that effect.) I decided that I liked the splotchy effect so went with only one coat.

On top of that is a rectangle that I filled in with the green paper in the kit. On top of that is another rectangle that I used Ruby and Peridot metallic water colors on. (It is a good thing that I bought five sets of the watercolors at a closeout as I have been having so much fun with them. I did find a craft store in the next city over that also sells them.)

I did a print and cut on the kraft cutout Santa. Then edged with my vintage photo distress ink. The button was also in the kit and is a print and cut. I made a larger button and filled it in with the red polka dot paper in the kit. However, I did not like the color when it printed so in my printer setting changed it to print in Sepia with a dark contrast. I am going to have to use that setting more often to change things.  I was going to heat emboss with clear enamel the buttons but decided to leave them matte. Originally I was  also going to put the buttons together with my copper wire. Alas although it fit in the holes it was too stiff. While looking for thinner wire I found a piece of raffia and thought that would be perfect.

As much as I would have loved to have done a sketch of a print and cut my Silhouette pens no longer sketch although I can write with them by hand. I am very disappointed in the Silhouette pens. I can not justify spending money on a pen holder at this time. LOL! Besides I have way too many ideas to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

Have I inspired you to try a print and cut for a Christmas card? It is none to early to start on Christmas cards if you haven't. Also have you been inspired to try a new technique? Perhaps painting on a card like I did here with glitter paint. Or finding some metallic or even regular water colors to play with straight out of the tube.

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. I'm not sure what I'll do next. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)