Sunday, May 24, 2015

Mojo Monday Challenge 398

Hi everyone! Here it is the weekend again and for some people it is a three day weekend. For those who do not know http://mojomonday.blogspot.com/ has a card sketch challenge every Monday. As I've mentioned before I don't usually do card sketches but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone. I have a love hate relationship with my final card. I'm not sure I like my wax paper die cut. I did this morning change out a butterfly for a smaller one and placed it on the ribbon instead of where I originally had a butterfly.
Here is the sketch:
Here is what I came up with:
The ribbon actually covered up the bottom of the die cut border. I like how the background turned out especially the wood grain part. I started by painting the top part of my card stock panel with blue glitter paint. When that was dry I painted the bottom section ivory. When the ivory paint was dry I painted walnut gel stain over it. Let it sit for a few moments and then wiped off the excess. I used the Swiss Dots embossing folder for the blue portion and a wood grain folder for the bottom. In order to not have a line in between the two patterns I ran the folders through individually.


The butterflies were an experiment. The ones on top here I stamped dye ink on wax paper and then added cooking oil. I then smooshed the shapes through the mixture on the wax paper. When they dried I brushed glitter glue on. Doing the butterflies this way each one turned out different. For the bottom one I stamped my ink on wax paper and then dipped my brush in the oil then in the stamped ink. This allowed me to get color where I wanted it.

I airbrushed with a gold sharpie my wax paper die cut as well as the ribbon. I'm thinking I should not have been so stingy with the ribbon pennants on the top after looking at the sketch. My card base was a weird size which is probably why it was on the floor as I originally cut my panel to allow for a border. Since there was a gap at the bottom I used a piece of washi tape.

There you have it my take on the sketch. If you decide to air brush wax paper you need to realize that the air brush side at least using a Sharpie will be tacky so I placed that side down on the card. Also if you decide to do the oil your card stock will become translucent. I originally saw the technique using baby oil and reinkers neither of which I have. Hey I have to do something with the Canola oil I have since I switched to using olive oil ;-)

By the time you read this you probably won't have time to enter this challenge but do check tomorrow and see what the sketch is. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

1 comment:

  1. Great job with the sketch. The wood grain turned out well. Pretty butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)