Thursday, June 4, 2015

Mojo Monday Challenge #400

Hi everyone sorry I've been missing in action. I am still recuperating from being ill and have not regained my energy yet. I have spent a little bit of time playing with the Siphon Adapter for the eBrush as well as playing with a glue and gesso technique. Anyway when I saw that Mojo Monday had a design team call and one of the requirements is to link up a card I knew that I had to make a card for it. I really hope that I will be considered for the design team as I want to start making cards using more sketches. It is time to step out of my comfort zone and grow as a card maker.
You have until Sunday 8 p.m Mountain time to submit an entry if you wish to play along. All the details are on their blog. http://mojomonday.blogspot.com/ Here is the sketch for this week.

Here is what I came up with.
If you have been reading my blog for any length of time you know that I usually find a way to fix a mistake and use it. I messed up on the background which I had colored with color mist using my airbrush when I tried to use gesso and a stencil with it. Gesso to the rescue. I spread a thin layer of gesso allowing the color to show through. Then with my airbrush and undiluted acrylic ink I sprayed speckles. With the airbrush I was able to direct the speckles where I wanted them and less mess than using a toothbrush. Alas you can not see the sheen from brushing iridescent medium.

Using Memento London Fog ink I stamped my music. I wanted the music to be more subtle than it would have been using black ink.

The butterfly was in my stash. I airbrushed with Spectrum Noir markers and then used a stencil of circles with my clear glitter pen.


I have lots of leftover paper doilies so used one on the corner. Following the sketch I didn't use the whole doily.

My flower was created with canvas paper. I spread glue on a plastic page protector and then dropped Distress Paint and diluted gesso into the glue. I then pulled my prints using different papers. The canvas paper had curled so I decided that would work with a flower die cut. I also used the die cut with my plastic which still had some of the leftover glue paint mixture on it. I cut slits in between the petals and curled the paper petals. Alas the plastic was not cooperative so I placed several square adhesive foam pieces in a stack and placed  the plastic flower on top.I tried to make dew drops with the iridescent medium. It didn't really work out like I had planned but I like the dots. The half pearl hides the stack of adhesive foam and I think helps to tie in the blue color more.

There you have it my card for the Mojo Monday challenge. Even if you don't want to join in the challenge I encourage you to go visit the blog. You will find a ton of inspiration and some lovely sketches. In the past I've used some of the sketches long after the challenge was over. It is a good place to get that mojo if you have been feeling blocked.

I am still playing with the glue technique. This week I also experimented with acrylic ink. Not sure when but I'll try to either do a picture tutorial or a video. It is a fun technique although to be honest I probably like it so much because it is messy. ;-)

Do you like doing messy techniques? Do you ever see instructions for a technique but not have all the products used so see if you can substitute with something else?

It is late so I'm wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

3 comments:

  1. Wow--so much work went into this card, with a great result. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work with the sketch. Nope, I rarely do messy techniques, and even Pat knows that because I was rarely assigned a messy technique for the Newsletter. I don't think to substitute products, I leave that to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! That's one of the reasons I love mixed media- you can always cover your mistakes. Thanks for joining in the fun over at Mojo Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)