Friday, May 15, 2015

Fairy Mixed Media Card Challenge

Hi everyone I hope your weekend has started out on a good note. I just finished this card today but my daughter in law had a graduation party tonight so just now getting around to posting.

I have to admit that the wings challenge over at Mixed Media card challenge has been loads of fun. This card was so fun to make as I pulled out things from my stash as well as did experimenting. Details about the challenge and entries so far can be found HERE

I am a tease so I'm going to start with some closeups first of the different elements.
Since the theme of the challenge is wings I decided to use a fairy stamp I recently bought from I Brake For Stamps. After stamping her with Memento Luly Lavender ink I colored her with chalk. I then stamped just the wings on tissue wrapping paper. On top of the chalk coloring I painted Liquitex Iridescent Medium I wish that I could get a photo of the shimmer on the wings. The foot is glued down and then adhesive foam adhered higher up to give the impression that she is really dancing.

The stones she is dancing on were created by using gesso and a texture plate for cake decoriting embedding it in the gesso to make the texture. I then when the gesso was dry airbrushed and took the larger pattern cake texture plate and ran my card through my eBosser. I love how it turned out.

The grass was made from a strip of crepe paper that I  cut down and then cut slits in.





 I saw this Iris in my stash. I had printed the image out when I was trying out my laser printer. Although it was only printed on copy paper I decided to see what would happen if I used water color paints. I took out my Faber Castell pan water colors as the colors are more richer.  I love how they turned out and how I could layer colors. I  also love how the laser ink is waterproof. The Iris is glued only at the bottom under the grass. Which allows it to lean and look more three dimensional.

My background was created using gouache on acrylic paper.  The acrylic paper is thick and has texture. While the gouache was still wet I placed crumpled wrapping paper over it  to pick up some  of the paint and to create texture. I don't know why but for some reason the background reminds me of Van Gough's Starry Night painting.

Here is my finished card.

 
My focal panel is pop dotted to a panel which I airbrushed and then adhered sheer material over. Several years ago I bought a sample book at a thrift shop for sheer drapes. I never really used the fabric though in the book. I thought the softness of the fabric would be a nice contrast.

So what do you think of my wings card?  Do you make cards using lots of textures and techniques?

Now that I was able to make an early purchase of the siphon adapter for my eBrush look forward to me making more cards with mixed media. I can't wait until I have it in my hands to play with.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!


3 comments:

  1. Definitely one of a kind. :)
    The colors are lovely and I really admire your creativity.
    Lovely card.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of texture going on and I love it. Love cute little fairy. Perfect for the graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous textures and colours! So glad you joined in the fun @ Mixed Media Card Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)