Monday, December 9, 2013

More Ornaments

Over the weekend I played with trying to make ornaments but my ideas did not pan out. I did cut out a bunch of circles to make ornaments with the family but time together did not work out. Anyway this morning I had the bright idea to paint plastic ornaments with a sponge and acrylic paint. Here are the ornaments I made today.

/
 This is the sponge painted ornament. I used Folk Art Metallic Sapphire and Folk Art Extreme Glitter Peridot. I sponged on the paint with a snippet from a car wash sponge. The easiest way is to put the ornament in a cup like a Dixie bathroom cup and paint part of the ornament with the sponge. Let dry for about thirty minutes or longer if you are using a different brand of paint. You want the paint to be dry before turning over the ornament. Then turn ornament over and finish painting. If for some reason you do mess up the paint you can always touch up with sponge and paint.

Sorry I can't show you the front of the ornament as this is a gift and I know  the person sometimes reads my blog entries. I will however tell you my experience with putting images on an ornament. I discovered that smaller shapes work the best. Also you will probably need to snip all around the shape about 1/4" deep snips all around like you do before sewing a sleeve in a garment. You do want to make sure if it is a printed image that the ink you printed with doesn't bleed from the glue or sealer. I used two coats of Mod Podge over the image. While the second coat was still wet I carefully placed my cording around the circle printed image.

It would be fun to sponge paint an ornament like I did here and then glue sequins,rhinestones,strung beads,etc.

If I have time I'll do one with an image which I can show you on another blog post.


I love Cameron my Cameo. I used to make these ornaments as a teenager and did not have a cutting machine. At the time I used a compass with a pencil to draw my circles and cut the circles out by hand. It was a great way to reuse greeting cards. Yes, I come by my frugal ways honestly. LOL! In fact one year my mom and I made a wreath using dry cleaner plastic bags. That is another story though.

I have pads of cardstock that have been gathering dust for a couple of years and I decided this was a good way to use that cardstock. Out of 12 x12 I got nine 3" circles. I decided to go with a pattern and solid. It doesn't really show in the photo but the green is shimmery.

I used 16 3" circles but you could make the circles any size you wanted. The circles are folded so the pattern is inside or if the color is just on one side the color is inside.The folded circles are glued to each other until you have a round shape.

In the photo you can see the ribbon is not centered. After taking this photo I noticed it. I carefully took that section apart and the ribbon for some reason had come lose from the spine and shifted on me. So make sure the ribbon is secure on the spine before gluing the last circles together.

I found this video just in case you want to make these ornaments and need visual instructions. I am always amazed to discover things I did as a teenager still being done when it comes to crafting.

I have wrapping paper to make and all kinds of things left to do. It always surprises me how Christmas sneaks up on me.

 Thank you for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you actually used a compass years ago? How did we ever survive without our die machines--LOL. Your ornament is lovely. Lots of work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)