Tuesday, December 3, 2013

DIY Glitter Ornaments

Hi everyone! I hope you are having fun gearing up for the holidays.

I have books bought for my granddaughters. Both parents have said that they have way too many toys. Besides I used to buy books every Christmas for my son so I'm carrying on the tradition. I was fortunate this year to find reasonably priced at Amazon "A Dickens Christmas Carol" popup book. The popups designed by famous paper engineer Chuck Fischer are fabulous. It is really tempting to keep it myself. Although the book is for age nine and up Ali is an excellent reader and I'm sure she will delight in the popup illustrations.

I must confess I have not gotten my Christmas decorations out of storage and started decorating yet. I usually begin the first of December. Nor do I have my cards mailed yet but I do have them made. I did however spend a delightful Sunday afternoon crafting with my granddaughters. My son and daughter-in-law each made an ornament also. I wasn't sure they would but had taken over plastic ornaments for them also.

These are the ornaments that my son and his family made. I love how they used two different colors of glitter. Sorry about the glare from the overhead kitchen light. Even the three year old had fun shaking the plastic ornament with the glitter inside. A paint pen was used to write and draw on the ornaments. I love the design that Ali drew on hers. She also wrote Merry Christmas on the back.I suggested that the date be added because I know sometime down the road otherwise they are going to wonder what year that was. Also either a name or initials were added so that they would know who made which one. A permanent marker could be used instead of a paint pen.

Here is a link if you wish to make glitter ornaments. http://theornamentgirl.com/blog/being-crafty/how-to-make-glitter-christmas-ornaments-diy/

Ali the eight year old painted the wooden tree photo ornament and sprinkled sequins on the wet paint. Caitlyn the three year old used some markers and glitter glue on the snowman. I need now to print out photos which will fit in the frame so they can give the ornaments to their other set of grandparents.

Of course I'm invited over again as I brought marshmallow,caramel brownies. I had to move close to my son so I could bake goodies again. ;-) LOL! My son said I have not lost my touch making these. I didn't have the heart to tell him that although I used my own marshmallow creme and caramels that I used a boxed brownie mix for the base.

If our schedules work out next week we will make snow ornaments. I will cut out tree parts for them to make a tree to go in a clear plastic ornament. As well as perhaps a few other things. My son suggested that we use powder sugar for the snow instead of granulated sugar but I don't know how that will work.

Any ideas what I should bring over for dessert? I'm thinking perhaps making a batch of Krumkake and taking over some fruit and whip cream to put in them. Lol! This is one iron I did not get rid of when I moved. ;-) For those who don't know Krumkake is a Norwegian waffle which is shaped into a cone after being taken off the Krumkake iron. Because it is so much work to make them I used to only make them for Christmas or if it was a really special occasion.
*Frugal Tip*
If you do not have children or pets you can take old glass ornaments and soak them in warm water and bleach to remove the paint. You may need to use something like a baby wipe to get the rest of the paint out of the ornament. Of course if like me you browse for after Christmas sales you can pick up glass ornaments really cheap. It doesn't matter the color as you are removing the color. :-)

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

4 comments:

  1. Oh so pretty and I love the colors used. So glad everyone had a wonderful time.
    Krumkake sounds so yummy.
    We won't tell if you don't that you cheated and used a brownie mix. LOL
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty ornaments. I love to hear how you get together with your family and create. How awesome for all of you. I love the glitter. I hear you a brownie mix. I once substituted a gingerbread mix for the real gingerbread for my triffle one Christmas. Have a nice Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good. Little Birdie Secrets.. i just found you website and just getting to know my way around here from what i seen so far it fantastic keep up the super work i got to go now but i be back very soon best of luck to all you people. graphics are very nice. it's a fantstic web site super job. WWW.WE.HOBBIESANDCRAFTS.NET (you might like the crafts tips ) it got wonderful colors., .it Absolutely Gorgeous ornaments,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love homemade ornaments and these are adorable! I buy a lot of books as gifts too. When I was growing up my dad read "Nancy and Plum" by Betty Macdonald to us every night in the weeks leading up to Christmas. It is one of my favorite holiday memories. I found the book when my boys were little and read it to them. I bet your granddaughters would enjoy it!

    I'd love to see a photo of Krumkake if you make it... I'd never heard of it before.

    Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)