Sunday, February 8, 2015

Mixed Media Card Challenge Love Theme

Hope everyone has been having a nice weekend. I put February card challenge in search and one of the first links was for the Mixed Media Card challenge for this month. The theme is "love" I wonder why. If you would like to enter this challenge here is the link:
http://themixedmediacardchallenge.blogspot.com/2015/02/mmcc-8-love.html

Since I made one of my goals this year to enter more challenges I decided to create a card and my fifteen minutes  crafting for the day ended up being longer. LOL! In fact my friend finally dragged me out of the craft room to go thrift store shopping so what did I buy. An old paperback dictionary to tear up and a sewing pattern to use in crafting not in sewing.

After some thought this is what I came up with.
I started out by taking my Plaid heart stencil and left over paper pulp and making my stencil paper. While it was still damp I used my air brush and a Spectrum Noir marker to spray the stencil coloring the hearts. I had previously made the large heart in a soap mold with the paper pulp. I first placed a few drops of alcohol ink in the soap mold before adding the pulp.. It is always fun to do as you are never sure what you will get pattern wise. 

The butterfly and sentiment are from Fiskars Butterfly Magic stamp set. I first stamped them both on plastic using Stazon ink but I didn't like the way the sentiment turned out. I sprayed wrapping tissue paper with my air brush and Spectrum Noir markers. As well as with the gold Decofabric glitter marker. I then stamped the sentiment "you make my heart flutter" on a piece of the tissue paper and tore it out. The rest of the tissue paper was adhered to the back of the butterfly with acrylic floor wax. Once it was dry I cut the butterfly out. Then used a black Glaze pen for the body. I didn't like the stamped antennas so cut them off. I colored a piece of floss with a   black  Sharpie and adhered small rhinestones on each. Then glued it to the back.  I glued the butterfly on the front of the heart. Then glued a feather from a pack I had bought at Dollar tree on the back of the heart. The sentiment was then glued on the feather. 

I was in a hurry so finished drying the stencil paper with my heat gun. However, it curled a little bit so while eating dinner it sat under a pile of books. I  trimmed the paper and learned that it will not cut nicely with a paper trimmer. :-( So I ended up cutting it narrower than I had planned. Then the heart was attached to the stencil paper and the paper adhered to the front of the card.

I so love how both the paper pulp heart turned out and how my butterfly turned out. Good thing I bought that large box of page protectors at a thrift store for crafting with. I love how stamping on plastic and then adhering colored tissue paper or tissue paper I've colored in some way.turns out.

I attempted to air brush the feather with the gold glitter marker but it didn't really turn out the way I had planned. I was really disappointed when I opened the package of feathers to find that many of the feather had been chopped off like this one and that there are so many small bits and pieces. I guess it is true you get what you pay for. I'm just thankful that I only bought the one package.

I encourage you to try some mixed media in your paper crafting. Also I want to encourage you to do some challenges. As a friend of mine was fond of saying the more time you spend being creative the more creative you become. I know at least for me that is true because now if I miss my fifteen minutes of being creative I'm all out of sorts. And if I miss too many days then my creativity seems to leave me.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful !!!!!
    Love the colors and the butterfly is really exquisite.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely. Really did well with your mixed media, and I agree with you, I like how the butterfly turned out.

    Like you, I'm joining in more challenges. It inspires me to get my butt in gear -- LOL.

    Been up since 3 a.m. and been in my stamp room creating backgrounds since then.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful! I love your hear and butterfly - great technique! Thanks for joining in the fun at the MMCC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! lovely colors and design :) Thank you for sharing with MMCC!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)