Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Anything High Hopes Goes Challenge #152

My dear friend Beth Norman gave me a link to a design team call for High Hopes Rubber stamps. I had never heard of them but decided to apply after looking at their catalog of cute and whimsical stamps. I wasn't picked for the design team but thought it would be fun to start to enter some of their challenges. I don't own any of their stamps yet but have placed an order. Luckily they are nice and provide a free digi stamp to use for challenges. There are some advantages to using a digi stamp but I'll be honest I would much prefer to use a rubber stamp. There are advantages to getting all inky also.

 Since I've been playing with paper pulp since Saturday I decided to use some of my play for this card. Who knew that you could use a stencil with paper pulp to create your own unique paper! Or that you could use a plastic canvas shape to create unique shapes. Drum roll please!

For this card I started by making a piece of stencil paper. I had already played with pulp and stencils and decided to experiment. First I stamped on a piece of card using Concord Grape Distress Ink. Then I placed my stencil down on the card and applied my pulp. I couched the pulp enough for the fibers to cling together and then turned over the stencil which now was coated. I then stamped my distress ink over the stencil and continued squeezing water out with an old towel. The more you apply pressure with the towel the thinner your paper will become. Once the fibers are sticking together you can use a rolling pen over a towel, old sheet or whatever you are using.You can use paper towels in the beginning but eventually they will stick to the paper you are making.. I learned that when I first dabbled in paper making years ago using an old screen. 


.The heart was made using paper pulp and a plastic canvas heart. You will get the weave of the canvas in your finished paper shape. I used the deboss side for this card. I used my airbrush with a fabric glitter marker. I only have the purple Decofabric marker but I have an order coming with more colors. :-) (Yes, Beth I do once in awhile buy things. ) I edged the heart with a gold paint pen I found when I was cleaning. I love how sparkly the glitter marker makes the heart.

Alas this poor bee lost his cute hearts on his antennae when my machine cut him out. I tried two times and finally gave up. I did an offset so I could mount him on an offset. I colored the image with Prismacolor color pencils.

If you like stamps I encourage you to check out High Hopes Stamps. Also I encourage you to join in their challenge.http://highhopesstamps.blogspot.ca/2015/02/challenge-152-anything-high-hopes-goes.html

I will try to do a tutorial soon on making paper pulp and using it for different things. In the past and I also did some this time I used mini soap molds to make paper embellishments. I also this time did experimenting with using embossing folders with the pulp as well as with stencils and plastic canvas. 

In the meantime it is easy to make your own paper pulp to play with. Rip or shred paper. You can use old bills, things you printed and no longer need, etc. Thin paper  like copy paper weight works the best. I fill my blender half full of paper not packed tight. Then fill the blender with water. Blend until it is smooth. Then strain. You now have pulp ready to use. If using soap or candy molds you will want to spray the molds with a cooking spray. If you are using the plastic canvas or a stencil you will not need  to spray. Do however let the paper remain in the molds or on the canvas or stencils until dry. Drying time will depend on how much moisture is left, temperature and the humidity. You can keep the pulp for a few days in an airtight container. Whatever you do do not pour unused pulp down the toilet or sink. In fact I have a screen over the drain when I rinse out the blender or other things I've used.like my strainer. It is not frugal to have to call a plumber.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

9 comments:

  1. What a cutie!! Love the texture and colors.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad we didn't get picked for the design team. Oh well. You made me laugh out loud when you said you do buy things sometimes because when I read you ordered some stamps I nearly fell out of my chair. I can't wait to see what you get.

    Your card is lovely. The pulp turned out really well. I'm not sure I'd work in such a mess but it works for you.

    Good luck in the challenge. I'm going to join in again too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you enjoyed your free digi! LOVE your paper pulp heart and fab stencil paper.
    Thanks for playing along with us at High Hopes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat looking card! I love the techniques you used! Thanks for joining us at High Hopes and be sure to come back soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pulp paper and adorable digi image! So glad you joined this months Anything Goes challenge at High HOpes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I love your project...YOU made that paper??? Fantastic! and the heart paper looks like dirt which is perfect for the ant...looks like it is walking in the dirt. Sorry you didnt make the DT team, try again on the next call! You are going to love whatever stamps you bought. I cant wait to see what you create with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the texture on the heart, thank you for sharing the process. beautiful creation !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your paper makes a perfect bg for the adorable image. Thanks for coming to the High Hopes challenge.
    Dorothy S, Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute!! Thank you for playing along with the High Hopes February Challenge. We have a new challenge that started today and we hope you will play along again soon.
    ~Lacey
    www.stampandcreate.com
    High Hopes Lead Designer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)