Thursday, February 19, 2015

Altered Playing Cards Week 23

Hi everyone I finally finished this week's challenge yesterday but it was indeed a challenge for me. Things just were not working out the way as planned. Yesterday I had to just walk away a few times. Luckily the weather was nice although a little chilly so I was able to take my boys on a longer walk. Both boys were tails up and doing a dancing step.

The challenge was to use masks. I tore a mask out of paper but it really didn't work and I was too lazy to fire up Cameron my Cameo so I went with using stencils.Here is Claudine's creations
And here is what I came up with:

The first one I tried painting with some antique gold paint I have. It was too thin and the white gesso showed through. I then used Wild Honey Distress paint which colored the gesso and ended up painting a taupe over that. When the paint was dried I used a lattice stencil I had cut out a few years ago. I then rubbed copper Brilliance ink over the stencil after trying the gold and there not being enough of a contrast. While the stencil was still in place I used a Fancy Pants stamp and brown Stazon ink. I ended up having to keep moving the stamp and re-stamping as in places it just was not stamping. I wish now that I had stamped the butterfly further down so that it was on the squares with not as much script. Luckily there was a residue of ink on my ancient butterfly stamp as I stamped it with a glue pad and tried to burnish DecoFoil over it but the foil didn't transfer. Then I tried my 2 way glue but that didn't work either. Guess Ill have to get transfer adhesive. Argh! I still can't find my set of Gellyroll pens. I did however find my clear glitter Gellyroll pens so used that on the butterfly. Then I stamped using a stamp from Inkadinkado "Inspiration Lift and Fiskar Butterfly Magic. Then edged the card with black ink.

The second card my torn mask did work out so I used a stencil with Brilliance Sky blu ink after the sky blue paint was dry. Then I used another stencil with a off brand dark blue dye ink.which was given to me. I stamped the whale with a black ink and used antique embossing powder. I have had the embossing powder for ages and would like to find more of it. For some reason it didn't totally emboss. I love how the solid areas in the stamp ended up instead taking on the lines from the paint. I took a black Sharpie and outlined and went over some of the details. I tried Hero Art alphabet stamps to stamp my words right on the card but alas even doing ink to stamp I got ink from places on the stamp I didn't want. I ended up stamping on blue copy paper as it is it took me several tries. I just bought Stazon blue ink so went ahead and edged with that using a stencil dauber. I found out that using the inkpad to edge can ruin them. I'm waiting for my blending tools to come to use those.

There you have it my challenging challenge cards. Now the other challenge is to find the charger for my camera. It was not where I normally keep it. I'm off to find the battery charger and do some more rearranging in my craft room as I have ink pads coming in the mail and a few other goodies. Plus I must confess I did some shopping Tuesday so need to put away those goodies so I know where they are.

I hope your crafting is not as challenging for you. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!


  1. Way to "make it work" I love both your cards and I think you did a fantastic job!

  2. Bioth cards are great, but I really love your butterfly. Love the shimmer on the background. And your butterfly is awesome too.

  3. I have to say that my favorite is the butterfly as well. The whale is whimsical and fun.


Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)