Friday, May 9, 2014

Mother's Day Photo Card Using Stencil Resist Technique

Hi! I hope you have not missed me lately. Had a few days of sun and the wildflowers in the park near me were calling me away from crafting. My two boys (dogs) have been enjoying the sun and going where no one has gone before. O.K. well that is not completely true but they do seem to want to get off the paved trails as soon as possible and go on some of the more primitive trails. I am often surprised when I look at my watch to discover that we have spent hours at the park. However, with Mother's Day just around the corner I knew that I needed to be getting made a Mother's Day card. I'm pleased how this turned out.
Often the hardest part of card making for me is deciding what colors to go with. I knew I wanted to use a photo of my granddaughters so decided to go with colors that I thought would go best with the photo. Of course my other consideration was what colors I had on hand of 12 x 12 for the card base. For some reason I have a difficult time getting my scallop card file positioned correctly on the mat to use letter size card stock. I decided to use this purple I found while I was organizing my cardstock for the card base and for the heart mat. 

The rectangle panel,banners, and photo were cut out of white cardstock. For the banners I used a Mother's day sketch file which was a free file a couple of years ago from Silhouette. It is Design ID #27511. I used a fine tip marker for the letters using a Silhouette pen holder. If you are going to use a marker for the lettering you will want to ungroup and get rid of some of layers of heart shapes or letters. You will notice that some of the o's are really heavy as I didn't get rid of some of the layers. That is all right as it looks more like perhaps a child formed them. :-) Originally the banners were centered vertically on a sketched panel but I decided to put them at the bottom of a rectangle panel so I could use a photo on the front of the card. The banners looked too stark white so I used chalk and chalk ink to tone them down.

Taking a heart shape I filled it in with the photo I wanted to use. In the original photo the parents are in the doorway watching the girls but I wanted the girls to be the focal point. I love how using the advance function in studio under pattern fill you can manipulate photos to get them exactly how you wish them in a shape. Once I got my photo how I wanted it I did an offset for the mat. Both the photo and the mat were edged with purple pigment ink to give them more of a dimension.

Doing the rectangle panel was fun and I think really gives the card an elegant feel to it. I saw a technique on Scrapbook Soup where a stencil was placed under cardstock and then Jenny Barnett Rohrs rubbed crayons over the cardstock revealing the pattern of the stencil. I decided since I had bought some oil pastels at a thrift store to see if this technique would work with those. After Jenny rubbed with crayons over the stencil she applied watercolors. The crayon areas resisted the watercolors and the oil pastel areas resisted the metallic watercolors I used. You could also use water based color mists with this technique or distress ink or stains. This technique would be fun to do and then cut out shapes other than a rectangle.

Now to figure out how to get this card over to my Daughter In Law's and my granddaughters sign it for their mom. Without her knowing what we are up to.

That's all for now folks! Thank you for stopping by and if you are a woman Happy Mother's Day! Even if you don't have children of your own we are all Mother's in our own way. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!


2 comments:

  1. Lovely card. Wish I was closer so you could teach me some of the studio tricks. :)
    It is so nice that you and the boys are able to go exploring. If they weren't so nosy (oh I mean adventuresome) you would miss a lot of gorgeous scenery I am sure.
    Myrna
    Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable with the photo. I hope you had a nice Mother's Day,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)