Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Don't Throw Out That Die Cut Negative Yet!

I was being buried under a mountain of die cut negatives. Some of the card stock I had saved because I could get another shape or two out of the card stock.  Some were print and cuts that only half the page was used. I decided yesterday to throw out the ones that didn't really have that much space left on them. My throwing out came to a screeching halt when I found an interesting negative from a print and cut I had done at Christmas time. I remembered seeing in a book using the negative as a mask so immediately sat down to craft. Here is my card which I had so much fun making. (Click image to enlarge)
First I took the negative and placed it over my card stock panel. I decided to go with just one color of distress ink instead of two. Taking Peeled Paint I rubbed it in the opening. I like to use a cotton ball and rub in a circular motion. You could use a foam blending tool. Taking a slightly darker pigment ink I then stamped with my lace background stamp. The lace doesn't show up as well in the photo but it gives a little bit of texture and dimension to the panel. Any background stamp will work. Taking Concorde Grape distress ink I stamp the flowers from a girl's stamp set. I believe it is by Hero Arts but not sure. Then I took two of the sentiments also in the set and stamped using Vintage Photo distress ink. Next step was to outline the shape with my black fine Sharpie. I was making this on a separate panel so did not worry about the Sharpie bleeding through to the other side. Then took my white gel pen and went around the outline again. I took yellow metallic chalk and rubbed it on the background. I knew that the gel ink line would resist the chalk so I could just rub it off. The chalk gives it a little bit of glimmer which unfortunately does not show up in photos. I also took the white and rubbed it over the stamped image for a little bit of glimmer. The panel looked like it needed something so I edged it with a Krylon silver paint pen.

If you are not into stamping you could embellish it with cut out shapes,flowers,stickers,etc. Many of the negatives also make great stencils. I have also used the negative itself adhered on card stock.

That is all for now. Thank you for stopping by and do come back.  Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again! Also Happy Spring!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)