Saturday, November 8, 2014

Snow People Christmas Card

Hi everyone another weekend is here and believe it or not the holidays will be here before we know  it.. Don't kill the messenger but there is only six more weekends before Christmas and they will fly by fast.

The card I made this week is not a fifteen or thirty minute card so it is not one which I would be making a lot of to give out. It was fun to make though. I had seen the card in a book and decided to put my own spin on it using the basic idea of the popup circle snowflakes.

I airbrushed the embossed panel first. Then embossed using a Darice embossing folder. Then heat embossed with Winter Wonderland Recollection embossing powder. Over that I used clear embossing enamel which although it doesn't really show in the photo gives  a pebbly icy look.


For the snowman panel I masked off with painter's tape and then airbrushed in my sky. Took the tape off and stamped and then  carefully airbrushed in any white spaces. I then colored in with Prismacolor markers the small details.  Then I used glaze pens for the buttons and for the carrot noses to add some dimension.As you can tell it is pop dotted on the embossed panel.

For this  part of the card I took my basic card base and added cut lines to make the pedestals the snowflakes would be adhered to. The snowflakes were a weekly free file from Silhouette. I added a circle behind so that the pedestals would not be seen. They are cut out of a silver paper and the snowflakes were heat embossed with winter wonderland powder. The photo doesn't do them justice.

The Merry Christmas is texture medium used with a brass template on plastic. After it dried I airbrushed it. This was an experiment to see if the texture medium would work on plastic as I have some stencils which would make nice embellishments. Plus I now know I can cut shapes out of plastic and use the medium on them.


The bottom border is a retired Sizzix border folder. I used embossing ink on the folder and then ran the card base through my eBosser. Then heat embossed once again with the Winter Wonderland. 

 I masked the bottom portion of my card base as I didn't want to get any spray on it. Then stamped my snowflakes with embossing ink. I'm not sure who the stamps are by. Then I airbrushed my sky.

All that was left was adhering everything together. Hint: If you make a card like this make your inner base a little smaller than the outside card base. I had to do a little bit of hand trimming after the two pieces were adhered together.

Now my only problem is who to give this card to. I'm already having a difficult time to decide which card to send my sister.  I may have to close my eyes and then point a finger to one.

I know some areas have already had snow. Have you had snow yet? Are you ready for the cold? I went to a consignment shop with the cute name of Cranberry yesterday. I was in search of jeans since mine are holey. L0L! I found a lot of jeans there in the same condition and they were pretty much brand new. I did find a flannel lined pair of jeans. Wish they would have had more than the one pair that fit. My pet peeve is that women's jeans are usually made of such lightweight denim unless you want to pay a lot of money.

Off to work more on my craft room. It is more organized and less cluttered. Especially since I've been either putting in storage or donating non craft items. I even have my "demon" sewing machine set up. Now to see if I can tame him. If not then I'll take him over the my daughter'in-law with the manual and see what I'm doing wrong. I just can't seem to get the tension correct.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!


2 comments:

  1. This is a darling card. It is so awesome. I agree, women's jeans are thin, and I was thinking it was just me. I love to shop thrift stores and found three pairs of pants on my last trip. Of course, I never seem to find nice jeans--they are usually too masculine looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful card but oh my, so labour intensive.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)