Friday, June 27, 2014

Dr. Who Birthday Card

Hi everyone I have a fun card to share with you today. For those who do not know Dr. Who is a character in a British television show that has been around for fifty years. The Doctor as he is called is a time lord and can travel across time and space. My son was deprived as we never had cable while he was growing up. However we did have a television and could get British Broadcasting shows which I allowed my son to watch. Dr. Who was one of those shows which we would watch together. To this day he is still a Dr. Who fan and I've teased him that one of these days I'm going to find the Tardis in his living room. For his birthday I decided to make him a Dr. Who card.
Roni at Inkstains with Roni generously shared the template that I used to make the card base. I cut out separate panels for the front since I wanted to pull prints as well as emboss one panel.  I used the grunge technique to pull the prints for the panels. Then I stenciled with a Plaid stencil I bought at a thrift store the outer space images on one panel. The only reason I bought the stencil is it was packaged with a stencil I wanted.  Then I glued some star gems that I have had for a few years.

 The other panel I embossed with a Teresa Collins embossing folder. After it was embossed I sanded revealing the white card stock.

The cording is glued between the card base and the panels.

On the left and right panels I rubbed two different blue oil pastels over a embossing folder. I was getting to much of the flowers and stems showing so I moved where the card stock was on the folder.

The sun is from the stencil I used on the front. I masked off the rest of the stencil with painters tape. I stenciled with acrylic paints and a cosmetic sponge.

The cupcake is from a Birthday stamp set which I had bought at a thrift store and forgotten about. It is stamped with teal blue Stazon ink on a piece of plastic. Then cut out by hand and painted on the back side.

The sentiments were printed on clear tape with black using my label maker. I was going to use silver with gold but decided that I liked the clear better.

Dr. Who on the center panel is a print and cut which was then transferred onto canvas using Creative Medium. I found the image online and then had to make changes in PhotoShop Elements so that I could cut around him using my Cameo.  I don't know if I didn't have the image adhered tight enough to the canvas or if because I printed on card stock instead of copy paper that I didn't get a clear image. Anyway he lost some of his outfit when I rubbed the backing off. I used Dimensional Magic for his sun glasses and defined them more using a gel pen for the frame. The Tardis was printed on copy paper. The ribbon and bow is painted with dimensional paint.

Before rubbing the backing off of the Dr. Who image I dabbed on with a sponge brush Folk Art Metallic Sapphire Blue and Aqua paint on the canvas.

The balloons were a free Silhouette cutting file. Because it would be too much work to cut the white out in between the strings I cut the strings off and glued crotchet thread for strings. Then tied them together with scrapper floss. I used Dimensional Magic on the balloons. When they were dried I pop dotted the balloons section.

I left room on the panel with the cupcake to write a personal message.I hope he likes his Dr. Who birthday card. If not at least I had fun making it for him.

Do you or someone you know have a favorite television show which it would be fun to make a card using it as a theme?

Thank you for stopping by and leaving comments. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

3 comments:

  1. You definately have a lot going on in this one little card!!! I do not know Dr. Who but I am sure your son will love the card that you did so much work on.
    As I have said before, you have a lot more patience than I would for doing all that crafty stuff. :)
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of Dr. Who, but have never watched it. Pretty cool card if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute card Myoriah!
    http://morepaperkissesandinkywishes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)