Sunday, June 29, 2014

Acrylic Paint Poppy Card

Good Day!

Hero Arts is having a one layer card challenge. I decided to challenge myself to see what I could do. This is my prototype Now that I know this technique works with this stamp I will be making a card for the challenge.The card will be a little different. The challenge is open until sometime in August. You can get details on their blog.
I started out by drawing a circle in Studio and duplicating and welding to make my card. I then cut off the bottom of the circle. Once I got my card base done the fun began.

With the card base opened I sponged heavily Folk Art metallic aqua and China Blue paint made by a different company. I'm too lazy to go see what company. Then I wrinkled up plastic wrap and placed it in the wet paint. I let it sit for a minute but you don't want the plastic wrap to sit too long in acrylic paint or you will be lifting up the paint when you remove the plastic. I love the texture that resulted. You can also get some neat results using different sizes of bubbles bubble wrap.

Once the paint was dried I inked up Hero Arts Poppy Background. I had bought the stamp this Spring on sale but never used it. Alas it looks like the stamp may have already been discontinued even though it came out in 2012.  I used Teal Blue Stazon ink. The background of the stamp is actually smooth with the flowers and stem cut in like an linoleum print block.  The texture from the paint turned the background into something more interesting. Some stamps would probably work better than other stamps for stamping over your textured background. Sometimes it is trial and error to see what works. Of course you could always carve in a potato and make your own stamp if you don't mind sacrificing one.

The lovely lady is a Dover sample.  I took her into a graphic program and converted her from black and white to Sepia.  After she was converted to a cutting file I printed her on copy paper and let my machine go to work cutting her out. I glued her down with a generous amount of Vintage Creative Medium.  Then when she was dry I coated the whole card front with the Creative Medium using a cosmetic sponge. I am pleased
the way she looks like she was printed on the background.

I decided to go and edge where it was blank as the stamp is smaller than my circle with a gold Painters marker.  I had thought of edging the whole circle but decided not to.

Have you used acrylic paint on a card front? I spend less than a dollar on bottles of craft paint and can get the color I want when crafting instead of having to have a bunch of different colors of card stock. The paints last a long time and dare I confess that some bottles of paint I've had for over ten years and they are still good.

The sunshine is calling so I'm off to play in the sun. Thanks for stopping by. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my how creative you are !!!!
    The card is beautiful. Love the color.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have used acrylic paint on a card front but that was years ago. You did a fantastic job with your card front. The pale blue is really pretty. You do good work to be able to convert the lady from a B&W to a sepia.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)