Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Why Not Just Emboss?

Some people like to just run their card stock or paper through an embossing machine and call it quits. Me, well if you have been following my blog for any length of time you know that I like to play. As well as I like to try out new techniques of things I've seen on blogs. For today I have a card made doing more than just running the card stock through an embossing machine. I love how my embossed panel turned out. It is so elegant that the card only needs a ribbon on the card for a pop of color. Because it looked off balance I went ahead and used a border punch on the card base. LOL! I really need to play with that punch more but I decided to not waste the card base.(Click on image to enlarge)


I was playing around with my camera but I just can't get a picture showing the real beauty of this with the pink and blue colors.

I took a scallop shape which I had messed up by placing my card stock the wrong direction on the cutting mat so one edge ended up with tiny notches instead of scallops.  LOL! The ribbon is hiding the notches but I could have just as easily  trimmed that edge. First I embossed my scallop panel using a Sizzix embossing folder. I believe it is damask but not sure as two folders came in the pack and I got rid of the original packaging.( I guess I need to print labels for the outside of embossing folders so I know what they are.)

Then using a plastic scraper for pans although you could use a piece of cardboard or old credit card I scraped Gesso over the embossing.  Once dry I swiped orchid and sky blue pearl ink over it. (I wish I had more pearl ink pads but alas I only have these two.) I could have used blending chalks or other ink pad but I decided I wanted the soft look of pink and blue. Of course I could have left it white or even added color to the Gesso before applying it.

 I like how the Gesso turned out applying it over the embossed card stock. It gives it sort of an old plaster look. LOL! Also it disguised the fact that the card stock is gray. Oh and the Gesso usually dries fairly fast so don't worry you don't have to wait 24 hours.

My frugal tip is to use your mistakes. Also if you spill coffee on your card stock,or it gets discolored in some other way don't throw it out. Gesso it or paint over it.

I use Folk Art Gesso because I can buy it inexpensively at Michaels. Also it is a good size container for me as I worry that in the larger sizes the Gesso might become too thick. Any Gesso would work. Remember that Gesso can be colored. I've used alcohol inks and soap dyes left over from my soap making days as well as acrylic paints.

I hope I've inspired you to try Gesso if you haven't and to used your embossed images in a different way.  So why not just emboss well the answer is because for me it is fun to play around and see if I can make an  art piece.

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. I've been playing with making glue sheets using an embossing folder and will have a card soon to show you using one. I'm still in the playing stage trying to decide what I want to back the glue sheet with.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!


3 comments:

  1. I love using my mistakes, there is always a way when there is a will, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's wonderful that you are always trying new techniques. I have Gesso, but rarely think to use it... this is a great idea and I love the texture it added to this card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)