Monday, October 13, 2014

Altered Cards Week 7

Hi everyone it is Monday and that means a new Altered Card challenge has begun. By the way just because it is week seven doesn't mean you can't join us.  Feel free to jump in and join the fun.

This week the theme is sea. It was only when I finished my cards that I remembered I have some fish and ocean stamps. I sort of did my cards along the line of how Claudine did hers.
Here are mine:
I decided to use a card that I had played with adding laundry bluing to gesso. I did mask off the bottom of the card with painter's tape and apply Broken China Distress ink to the top. The ship is a Dover Sampler image which I applied Vintage Creative Medium over. I didn't have the paper that Claudine stamped her sentiment on. After stamping with Black Archival ink I used tea dye and antique linen distress ink. to color my white copy paper. You would think that I would have had an anchor image in my tons of images but I had to go looking online for a free image. I colored with metallic color pencils. I saw a piece of embossed wallpaper on my desk. I decided to cut out what looked like rope. Then I painted it with Wild Honey Distress paint.

The background for this card I had applied gesso and then placed bubble wrap on top.  I painted it with Broken China Distress Paint and spritzed some Splash Mister Huey on top. I didn't have a bubbles embossing folder so I used a Existencil Shell stencil. to emboss my plastic. I applied Shimmer Creative Medium to my card and then put my embossed plastic down. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone that I accidentally put the plastic down with the debossed side up. I cut the leaves with my Cameo and then colored them with Distress paint and Distress ink.  I attached them to the plastic with a clear Zot. The sea horse was part of a Dover Sampler image. After I did a print and cut I colored with  Distress Paint. Argh! I went to use my crackle distress paint and it was dried up. To give texture I used Glossy Glazon and while wet placed a crinkled plastic bag in the wet medium. He is pop dotted . I decided since the plastic was so pretty to not use a sentiment.

If you have not tried embossing with stencils and you have an embossing machine you might want to give it a go. You will need to use an embossing mat with your machine

That's all folks! I have several projects in the works so hopefully I'll be crafting and posting some more real soon. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

5 comments:

  1. What a busy girl you have been. Love your sea creations.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I have an explanation of what 'adding laundry bluing to gesso ' means please - sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put your gesso out on a craft sheet and mix laundry bluing in. If you don't stir it all the way you can get a nice variegated mixture. It only takes a little.

      Laundry bluing can be found in the laundry department of most stores I think. I saw it the other day. It comes in a blue bottle. I've had mine for years and when I saw it on the shelf while doing laundry decided to see if it would color gesso or not.

      Have fun playing!

      Delete
  3. These are so great, love them both and love your take on this week's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work. The seahorse is a lot of fun. Adding laundry bluing is a first for me. You are frugal--LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)