Monday, June 30, 2014

Hero Arts One Layer Challenge Entry

Hi readers, over at Hero Arts there is a one layer challenge for making a card. Embellishments are allowed and one Hero Arts stamp must be used. The details can be found here One layer challenge.

Here is the card I created for the challenge.
 Supplies used:
Canson Acrylic Card Stock
Cameo Cutting Machine
Apple Barrel China Blue and Ivory Acrylic Paint
Sea Sponge
Plastic Wrap and Large Bubble wrap
Hero Arts Poppy Background CG 140
Rangers Archival Black Ink and Stazon Teal Blue
Fine tip Sharpie Permanent Markers
Dover Sampler Image
Creative Medium Vintage
Cosmetic Sponge
American Crafts Micro beads
Scrapbooking Alphabet stickers
Hero Arts Antique Gold Embossing Powder (this is antique as I think I bought it back in the 90's)
Butterfly sticker (brand unknown)

First I cut out my card base. Then I sponged on the paint. While the paint was wet I laid plastic wrap over it and then removed it and laid large bubble wrap on top of the paint. This added texture to the card stock which already had some texture to it. When the paint was dry I first inked the stamped with the black and stamped on a piece of copy paper. Then inked with the teal blue and stamped on my card front. Then I inked once again with the teal blue and stamped again giving me a wonderful double stamped image.

I colored the flowers with a couple of yellow Sharpies and the stems with a couple of greens. When I was done coloring I adhered the print and cut image with Creative Medium. When that was dry I took my cosmetic sponge and sponged the Vintage Creative Medium over the entire front. Then I mixed on a craft mat Creative Medium and the micro beads together and applied that mixture to the center of two of the flowers.

I have had the alphabet stickers for years. I don't usually use them as I bought the pack for one particular color but usually don't use blue or pink. I decided to see if I could heat emboss them. After I adhered the letters I added the butterfly and the card was done.
Closeup of micro beads and coloring I love how it worked mixing the micro beads into a little bit of Creative Medium. It was easy to then transfer with a tiny spatula left over from the days when I demoed cosmetics. I can't wait to do this with the Shimmer but for this project the Vintage was perfect.

I hope that my friend I made this card for will like it. It was fun to challenge myself to make some single layer cards.

My frugal tip is to get out those stickers especially the alphabet ones you don't use because they are mismatched and do something with them. Heat emboss them,paint them,stamp on them or even use them as a stencil. Don't let them linger in a drawer.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

2 comments:

  1. What gorgeous colors.
    Good idea to use up the stickers. Creative lady.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza this is one fantastic bg. You put so much effort into it and it really paid off. Great work my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)