Saturday, April 27, 2013

Play Day Cards

I played yesterday trying to make  bubble backgrounds but because I was using matte cardstock it was really subtle. So this morning I woke up and I had found some semi-gloss blank cards while cleaning. I decided to experiment with that. While I was at it I decided to try photo paper since I have so much of it and my roommate gave me several packages of 8 x 10.  Both semi-gloss card stock and photo paper work great. Here are the two cards I made in between cleaning out a closet to stack packed boxes in.
 This card I did the bubble technique using photo paper. After  the photo paper was dried I took a stencil and gold paint and stenciled my design. While that was drying I sprayed the cardstock for my focal point. After that dried I stamped with embossing ink and used Perfect Pearls. I actually used two different colors but it is hard to tell. The stamp is by Fancy Pants.
I love how the bubbles turned the semi-gloss card front into this elegant background. For some reason although it didn't do so on the photo paper on the semi-gloss cardstock the bubble mixture actually dried textured. I definitely need to find some semi-gloss cardstock. I decided that I needed to do something simple. So I took a Fancy Pants stamp that I think is meant for large scrapbook pages as it is so large and stamped with embossing ink. Then brushed Perfect Pearls over it.

I'm thinking using blue paint to color the bubbles this would be neat for a water theme card or layout. It is so easy to do and youngsters would have fun doing this over Summer break. Add liquid dishwashing detergent and water in a shallow container. (A pie pan will work) Then add a little bit of paint. I used acrylic but tempra paint would probably work. Blow bubbles with a straw until they are almost overflowing the container. Then gently pat your paper over the bubbles. The bubbles will stick to the paper where they will eventually pop. I did it several times moving my paper until I got something I liked.

I tried this with commercial bubble mixture and I couldn't get it to foam enough. I did blow bubbles with the wand using the commercial mixture I had colored with food coloring and letting them land on the cardstock. I got an interesting background. Since I was using matte cardstock I got some interesting splotches also.

Thanks for stopping by and looking. Do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

3 comments:

  1. Myoriah
    Both of these are quite lovely. I think it would be fun to do a bubble technique one of these days.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they turned out so well. I love the gold paint you stenciled. Your work reminds me of mixed media. I've been spending the morning perusing mixed media and saw some lovely gold painting like yours. You make my work seem so boring; you're work is always so detailed with lots of different techniques. I love to see what you come up with next. Have a nice day. I'm putting a prime rib roast today. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Myoriah. They look like pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)