Saturday, April 1, 2017

Monochromatic HIMCR Challenge

Hi everyone can you believe that today is April 1st. Commonly called in my neck of the woods as April Fool's day. Yes, I was fooled as I went out of town thinking when I got back that there would be images for this challenge. Alas once again the sponsor has let us down so Laurie over at Hiding In My Craft Room is sponsoring this challenge. The prize is a Cricut Robot cartridge.

In January we were going to do a monochromatic color challenge but did not get the images. Laurie decided that we would go ahead and do monochromatic this month. Whether we used images or what we did was up to us as long as we went with the monochromatic theme. I was happy as I already had the glitter background and stamped image done as well as my card base made up. I was quickly able to resize and use clipart images from a previous challenge. Then decided that the area where the images are standing needed something. All that required was quickly embossing a strip of scrap and painting it.

I'm not really a pink girl but it seems pink has been cropping up more often. The reason I originally went with pink here was because the images I was suppose to get were black and pink. O.K. I know you are holding your breath so here is my card.


First was figuring out how to create my card base as I knew I wanted my images to stand upright but still be able to mail the card. I'm sure there are templates and probably directions online but you know me I like to exercise my brain. Not only will this nicely sit up if someone wants to display it but it will fold flat for mailing. I just need to use a larger envelope than I normally would. And the bonus is I can write something personal on the inside for the person who receives this.

The background was an experiment mixing Liquid Metals with gesso. I learned that  the metallic look disappears so better to use inexpensive acrylic paint. While the gesso was still wet I sprinkled hot pink fine glitter. The glitter doesn't seem to come off as easily as when I've sprinkled it into glue.

I had planned to originally cut out the Eiffel Tower but since I didn't get the images I left my stamped image as I stamped it. For those who are wondering this is a Tim Holtz stamp.

I embossed a scrap to cover the white fold where I wanted to place my poodles. I used a Darice border folder. Then sponged on Rose Liquid Metal.

After printing out the poodles and speech bubble I hand cut them. Normally I would have cut them out using my cutting machine but this was quicker for me. I added tabs at the poodles feet which I glued under my embossed panel before adhering it.  Then adhered the speech bubble to the back of the poodles. I had cut extra space around the speech bubble at the bottom so I could do that.

I hope you will join in the challenge or at least challenge yourself to do a project in a monochromatic color scheme.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!






1 comment:

  1. What a darling card. I love the pink Eiffel Tower and those poodles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)