Sunday, February 8, 2015

Oranges, Lemons and Limes Too

I spent an enjoyable Sunday putting together this card. I thought when I saw how the background turned out to enter it in the Oranges and Lemons challenge until I found out that the rules stated one entry per person. However, I'm doing a personal challenge as part of a facebook group. One of the challenges is to do something using wood. Oh the shame I've had these Studio Calico wood veneer pieces since I won them three years ago and have never done anything with them. In fact they were still in the original packaging unopened.

First off I've read that anyone can learn to draw. I've tried and tried but alas not only did I flunk drawing 101 but also Art Appreciation when the requirement unknown to me was that drawing was involved. Believe you me if I would have known I never would have taken the class. You have been forewarned. ;-) If you are brave enough then continue reading.



I decided to experiment with drawing with a white crayon and drawing with a white oil pastel. I decided to go with the white pastel. Lol! Although to be honest the white crayon flower was better. I stamped Distress Ink on a acrylic block and then misted it. I then stamped it on my oil pastel drawing. The oil pastel resisted the ink. I decided the flower needed more definition and first tried my white gel pen but that was no go. I then opened up a tube of Puffy White fabric paint.  The Distress Ink changed the color of the paint but I like that it is not stark like the white was. (I've never really played with the fabric paints and can tell I'm going to need more practice before I actually use them on fabric. When the paint was dry I put the saying wood piece in the middle. The HELLO is stamped on yellow tissue paper which I had air brushed some speckles using an orange and green Sharpie.  I used a Ki alphabet which I bought for a dollar. I keep forgetting when I go to the store that had them to see if they still have some other fonts.I used a yellow Sharpie to color the center of the wooden flowers. After my flower panel and my stamped panel were adhered to the card base I took some raffia and glued down to hide the seam. Thin ribbon would have worked also but I think the raffia is more in keeping with the earthy tone.

Since the idea behind the facebook group is to get out and use what we have I did real good. Like I mentioned the wood veneer pieces had never been used. The tube of white fabric paint was still sealed as was the roll of raffia.

My frugal tip is to clean and organize so you know what you have and then use what you have or give it away.

 See you later on this week with the altered playing card challenge post. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. The oranges and yellows are my colours and look terrific on your piece. Glad you're working outside the box with your colours. Your experimenting turned out wonderfully. I have oil pastels and don't know what to do with them. Your flower turned out terrific.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)