Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Altered Playing Cards Week 24

Hi folks,here we are already at week 24 in the altered playing card challenge. This week the challenge was to use Washi tape. I had to laugh as I had just picked up a couple of rolls at WalMart over the weekend.  Of course you know me I had to use other tape as well. Here are Claudine's:


And this is what I came up with:
I decided to paint my card first since I knew that the negative from using a Sizzix flower die was not going to cover the whole card.  I used Wild Honey Distress Paint which I misted after daubing it on. While looking through the library in Studio I noticed I had grungy text paper. It was a free file one week. (Now why couldn't I have found it for earlier challenges!) I printed it out and used my die. Now I have three nice text flower petals to use for something else. :-) I decided instead of using washi tape for this card to experiment. I embossed  athletic tape using a Darice flourish border folder. I  then airbrushed it and rubbed Distress Ink over the tape. One word of warning be sure to place the tape first on paper before embossing unless you want a mess to clean and perhaps even ruin your folder.. Luckily I was able to salvage the folder so it is still usable. I also backed my flower window with gold laser tape which is sold at Dollar Tree. My camera picked up reflections in the room. My sentiment is a stamp by Studio G and is stamped on a post it note strip found at Dollar Tree.  I just stamped the Think Happy part of the stamp. You don't always have to use the whole stamp or all of a quotation.

The tape used here to cover the card is by Studio G and was bought at WalMart for under a dollar a roll. The glitter design tape is also by Studio G. I would love to find more of this tape in different colors. This time instead of stamping my sentiment I used my label maker with clear tape. Then placed the tape onto a post it note strip.



Alas the photo does not do justice to Mr. Toad here. He is stamped on photo paper which I used alcohol inks and mixatives on. I put drops of the inks and mixatives onto a blending pad. For some reason the gold didn't really show but where it appears gray in the photo that is the silver and it is shimmery in person. Swirled the pad on the paper and then added a few drops of alcohol blending solution onto the pad and swirled some more. The ink dries really fast so you have to work quickly. Also the photo paper really absorbs the ink. After the ink was dry I stamped Mr. Toad with black Stazon and cut him out. Who says that you always have to hand color stamped images. Of course since I didn't use the whole piece of photo paper I now have some pretty paper for some other project

Can't wait to see what next week's challenge is. They are so fun to do and get me to use and try different things.

Do you use decorative tape in your crating? If you have a embossing machine have you tried to emboss on different things?

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. In the meantime wishing you happy frugal crafting till we meet again!

1 comment:

  1. Two great cards with lots of experimentation. Glad you found the print background. They are my favourites, and using book pages too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)