Thursday, May 3, 2012

Clowning Around!

I find a lot of inspiration in books. Books that I check out of the library. Often these books have templates in them. "Card Making" by Sally Henry is no exception. Although this book is geared for kids especially beginning card markers would find it helpful. One of the templates was for making a paper clown.With some modification other characters could be made. In fact I have some ideas and the book shows part of a fairy,pirate,and robot.

For now though I'm making the clown with a few differences. I added hair  for a girl clown. Who says girls can't be clowns. I wish I would have added brads to the arms so that they could be moved as well as the legs and head. She is done except for the eyes. I'm hoping tomorrow I can get to a craft store and that they will have small enough wiggly eyes. Otherwise I'll have to resort to using rhinestones which I color with a marker.

LOL! Just noticed the shadow of the hands in the picture. That darker color is a shadow. So what do you think of my girl clown?

The overalls was embossed with Swiss Dot embossing folder. The folder has a bad spot because I tried a canning lid in it as part of an experiment.  In this case though I think it just makes the overalls look a little worn. I inked the folder on the recessed side before embossing the pieces. The shirt I used a paisley embossing  folder and inked the raised side. The gloves and shoes were embossed with a texture plate and Vintage Photo distress ink rubbed over them. The ears were chalked. Nose,lips, and stars on the hat were colored with gel pens.. The eye area was colored with cheap eyes shadow I bought at a dollar  store. The buttons are from G Studio. Don't know where I got the assortment of brads from. Was glad to see I had a white one which holds the head on and allows it to move. The legs can be moved into all kinds of fun positions.

Unfortunately I had not considered the size when she was finished so I'll have to pay extra postage but my granddaughter is worth it. I know she will love it.

My frugal tip of the day is don't throw out that old eye shadow. Use it in your crafting instead. Happy Crafting till we meet again.

3 comments:

  1. This adorable, smile making clown is going to be a big hit with your granddaughter. I LOVE it!! Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, having seen your clown I remember I used to make things like this when I was a girl. Had forgotten all about it! I am sure your granddaughter will love playing with it.
    Tine (Addie24)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)