Thursday, December 5, 2019

Entry Makeover & Holiday decorating

Hi all I haven't been crafting lately and if you saw my craft area you would understand plus it is an icebox. In fact I had to turn on the heater just so I could get out some Christmas decorations and do some sorting. I am still looking for a missing box of Christmas decorations. Since it has the ceramic Nativity set I am sure I probably tucked it away somewhere safe. My roommate said I probably placed it in his closet since he only hangs his clothes there.

In the meantime I have been working on my house. The biggest project has been the entryway.
Before tackling the entryway I started with this area which leads to the entry and is off the living room. For months I looked at green paint chips and couldn't make up my mind. I finally decided to give "Farmer Road" by Glidden a chance. The wall is textured and it took two coats and a good half gallon just to paint this small area. Since lighting is sparse and no overhead light I went in search of a swag light.  I will be redoing the electrical cord going down the living room wall to an outlet. I found this Swag light by Better Homes and Gardens. It must be popular because WalMart was always out of it in my local area. There was only two left in stock when I ordered it online. I splurged and got the vintage led bulb.  Right now I am working on a shelf which will go under the picture on the wall. My black metal decorative shelf brackets will finally come out of hiding since I can use anchor screws. One advantage to having your own place. No one cares what color you paint  or how big of holes you put in the walls.I have a piece of outer corner molding stained and ready to install. I am lazy and trying to patch the corner was more work than I wanted to tackle.


I have always wanted a crystal chandelier in my entry. I think they add a touch of class.  I found this mini chandelier and it is perfect. It took longer to shorten the chain and fight with the thick 12 gauge wires in the junction box than to put all the crystals on it. Luckily when it comes time to put thin sheet rock over the popcorn ceiling it will be easy to loosen the canopy. I love the shadows on the ceiling as well as the vertical stripes the fixture creates. 



Last year I had taken off the closet door and taken the long clothes rod out as my entry bench would not fit in the area and no room in the rest of the space for it.  I decided to use the left over green paint in that area.  I put a small rod in for coats. There is enough space on the rod for me to hang guests coats. The metal shelving unit fits perfectly angled and houses hats,gloves, knit scarves and of course a basket of dog treats and the dogs many sweaters. Not as many shelves as the bookcase I had in that area but not as heavy looking. Eventually I will sew a cover for the bench cushion and maybe make some pillows for when it is not holiday time. First though I need to un-bury the sewing machine. LOL!



This is the view as you enter the front door. Note to self do not be deceived by a small area. I spent hours taking two layers of vinyl flooring off and then many more scraping the old glue and sanding the floor before putting carpet tiles down. The carpet tiles are now both in the main area and the nook. Carpet has made a big difference in the temperature of the room and also a lot quieter. I have extra tiles in case I need to replace some in the future. 

Until I can find and afford draw drapes the two back to back panels hanging from a tension rod works. Not only does it help keep cold  or heat from entering the main area but it also provides a little bit of mystery. I felt putting a door back up would make the room claustrophobic looking.


This is the view from the nook area.  JR approves of the flooring as it is warmer while waiting for mom to come back home. I have the base molding to cut and stain but already there is a 100% improvement in the area.

I am trying to decide whether I want to paint the living room before the Holidays or after..I do want to get some organizing done in  the laundry/storage room as well as the sewing room and craft room.  It is long overdue.

Anyway it is beginning to look like Christmas around here. I have some decorations outside and the tree in the living room. But not decorated as the missing box has the tree decorations.

If for some reason I don't post before the coming Holidays wishing you and yours Happy Holidays. And Happy Frugal Crafting.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your home decorating projects! It always seems like one simple projects leads to at least 3 others! Looking good and enjoy the changes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)