Friday, January 11, 2013

Faux Chalkboard Valentine

I've been wanting to play around with the chalkboard look for some time but seems like too many other projects have come up. When I saw a chalkboard Valentine card and saw where Moxie Fab has a challenge to see what you can use for a stamp besides a traditional stamp I decided to go ahead. Oh you don't want to listen to me ramble you want to see the card. O.K. Drum Roll Please! (Click image to enlarge)
The chalk board and frame is the scallop label in the Studio library which I re-sized. For the frame I did an internal offset. The black is some cheap black card stock I bought at JoAnn's a couple of years ago. For this you don't need high quality and in fact construction paper would probably work just as well.

For the stamping I used white embossing pigment ink. You want to use a craft ink otherwise known as pigment ink or chalk ink for this. Because pigment ink doesn't dry as fast you can smear it a little with your fingers like I did. The love stamp is from Karen Foster Valentine's Day set. The small valentines are from G Studio. I bought the set last year for a dollar. The middle valentine is using a plastic craft dedicated cookie cutter by Wilton. I will not tell you how many decades I've had the set of graduated size hearts but after my son left home I dedicated them to crafting. It was easy to just ink it up and stamp. Actually I got a better image with my practice but since this is a chalkboard after all the small breaks in the line add to it.

I used my metallic chalks to color the hearts only because I wanted a little bit of subtle sparkle and color. I could have just as easily used my soft regular blending chalks. Then I randomly took the white using a cotton ball and wiped over the whole chalk board. Then took my finger wiping off in places.

There you have it my quick and easy faux chalkboard card using everything I already had on hand. I was going to use some Valentine paper I have for the background but after playing around thought it detracted from the chalkboard which is the focal point.

 If you don't have chalk but have color pencils I've seen those used to add some color as well as white used to give more of a chalky look to the black. Also some people have used white embossing powder to try to get that chalk look.

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

2 comments:

  1. Really cute. I like the chakboard effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! it looks just like a real chalkboard. Nice technique Myoriah.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)