Thursday, September 1, 2016

September JFF Challenge Fall Not A Card

Hi everyone. The new design team for the next six months has not been chosen yet since there were so many applications. That being the case I volunteered to go ahead and do an inspirational piece for the challenge. The theme is Fall and Not A Card is optional. Being that I need to challenge myself. I went with not making a card.

I found this canvas at a thrift store. The writing had bled through clear to the front which is probably why it was under a dollar. Having seen some interesting artwork done using the back of the canvas I decided to see what I could do. Lol! I hope I didn't obliterate some famous person's writing.

This project was a learning experience. I should have painted the canvas first to cover the writing. Since I didn't I ended up melting more layers of crayons to cover the writing that was showing through. I used a heat gun this time. You could also use an old blow dryer but it will take longer.

 I discovered if the crayon was not touching the canvas it splattered all over the place. Until the crayon became too short I was able to have the pointed end on the canvas and draw with the melted wax. I suppose I could have held the shorter crayon with something and continued melting. It worked really well holding the crayon down on the canvas with my wooden handled metal palette knife. A few times I heated the melted crayon already on the canvas and moving the canvas allowed the wax to move. Be careful as the canvas will get hot as you are doing this. Also the Dollar Tree crayons had a tendency to smoke so I did set the smoke detector off  after working for about 30 minutes. I suggest doing this in short segments if you are covering a large area.

I stamped the medium and large Stamptangle pumpkins on pattern card stock. I only colored the stems with color pencils. The Pumpkin Patch was stamped on a scrap of white card stock and colored with pencils also.

I decided to use Scrabble letters for the Welcome part. I found the Scrabble game at a thrift store but they are getting harder to find at thrift stores.

I used Tombow Multi-Purpose liquid glue to adhere the wooden pieces and my stamped images. So far they are not coming off.

Using my hot glue gun I glued orange grosgrain ribbon inside the frame. I had just enough in my stash for this project so on my list will go picking up more of the orange ribbon.

The frame was painted using an unopened bottle of DecoArt paint I found at a thrift store for under a dollar. You do have to know your prices as sometimes I have seen paint priced which I would have paid the same price somewhere else.

The final step in this project was to glue magnet strips on the back of my masterpiece. Alas for some reason the strips do not adhere tight with the adhesive that is coated on the magnet. As well as it has a tendency to curl unless I put something heavy on it while the glue is drying.

And here it is finally hanging on my front metal door. I like the rustic look and it is already bringing a smile to my face when I enter my apartment.

I really hope you will join in the fun this month and challenge yourself to create a fall project. One stamp is required to be used in the project. Details can be found here:

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again and Happy Fall!

1 comment:

  1. You blew this project right out of the water with your crayon background. Love, love, love it. The pumpkins are perfect.


Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)