Saturday, December 20, 2014

Altered Playing Cards Week 13

Hi everyone! I'm a week behind on the altered playing card challenge. Last week the theme was bees. Here are Claudine's cards.
Here is my take on the challenge:
I tried to duplicate Claudine's background but it ended up being a disaster. I mixed orange and yellow metallic paint trying to get an orange yellow color. I didn't like it on my card so I went over while it was still wet with copper. I got the copper too thick and used a cosmetic sponge to wipe some of it off and then added some yellow. I discovered because the paint is so thick I could create a texture using the cosmetic sponge. When that paint was dry I took and rounded an old cosmetic spoinge and used that to randomly dab on Walnut gel stain.

My bee didn't turn out like I had planned but I decided to use it anyway.The bee printed out really light so I used my Glaze pens. I wasn't thinking when I put Dimensional Magic over it about copy paper curling. Opps! When some of the Dimensional Magic got on the other side I noticed that it made the paper translucent so after the front dried I went ahead and put some Dimensional Magic on the backside. At least now I know that Dimensional Magic will work over Glaze pens.

The sentiment is actually done on a scrap of pattern paper left over from making an envelope. I edged the paper with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. Alas my alphabet stamps were too large for stamping my sentiment and I could not find any suitable stamps. I used my Brother's label maker.

My honeycomb was actually a stamp cutting file from Silhouette.  I colored it with my airbrush and a marker.


The background on this card was fun to do. I used a stencil and gesso on my card first. Then airbrushed with a brown marker. Then placed a stencil and airbrushed with a maize marker. Then randomly used the airbrush with a blender marker. I used a marker to trace around only the hexagons in the stencil.

I don't remember where I got this cute bee at. which I turned it into a print and cut. Alas the antennas did not cut out right. After two tries of trying to cut him out I gave up and glued scrap floss. I edged him with Vintage Photo Distress Ink my go to ink.

The sentiment is stamped on the same pattern paper as in the first card.  This time I only inked the torn side with the Vintage Photo Distress ink. I found a cute set of alphabet stamps at WalMart for under $2, I noticed they had other fonts so I just may need to treat myself. My sentiment was stamped using Vintage Photo Distress ink. As I said this is my go to ink. It is the one ink that gets used the most. I need more practice stamping words as far as spacing goes but on the whole I'm pleased the way it turned out.

I started work on this week's cards and the theme is reindeer. I don't have the dies or stamps that Claudine's has but will at least adhere to the theme as I do have a couple of reindeer stamps. Hopefully I can get the cards done tomorrow as Monday there will be a new challenge.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

3 comments:

  1. What a cute bee!!!
    Interesting texture on your beehive background.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nice. I love the hexagons in your first card and the metallic look. Your second card is awesome as well. Love the words along the side. The bee is stinkn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love both of your cards, your backgrounds are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)