Saturday, September 27, 2014

Lattice Talk About Using Lattice On Projects ( two cards)

Today I have two lattice cards for you. The lattice cutting file was designed by Debbie  of Paper Pulse who so generously shared the file when I first got my cutting machine. I love this file because it always cuts out so nicely.  I don't cut out lattice much because I hate having to do the weeding. however this file is not as bad as some of the other files I have. However, having said that lattice whether cut using a cutting machine or cut from a die can add a lot to a card and you can create an elegant looking card in no time at all. Depending on how you finish your lattice it can even look like metal. Although for these two cards I went more for a wood look.
I have not decided yet whether to keep this for the front or have this for the inside. For now I kept it for the front to show you that you can glue your lattice inside and have it show through a cut window. I love this card base I made using a Silhouette frame cutting file for the opening. For this card I inked the opening with copper ink.

I don't know if you can see all that clearly in the photo but the lattice really looks like wood. I painted  nutmeg color paint on it and then painted a walnut gel stain over it. I took a dry bristle brush and removed some of the gel paint so that the nutmeg paint shows. Gel paint is normally used for antiquing wood but also works great for making a faux wood look. Because my lattice is painted a dark color it shows through the cardstock even though I used a heavy cardstock.

After I cut out the snowflakes I used a pouncer  brush which is stiff to pounce on gesso. While the gesso was still wet I sprinkled glitterd to give some sparkle.  I attached one snowflake with  round adhesive foam and then the other snowflake on the other side of the lattice. I decided to not line the snowflakes up.

This is the inside for now. Which side would you use for the front and which for the inside?

For this card I decided to play with my Kaleidoscope Kreator software. I took a photo that I had taken last winter of trees covered with snow. After playing with the different templates I picked this one as it looked like a large snowflake to me. I printed it on semi-gloss photo paper so that I would get more intense colors and a bit of a shine. The snowflake was cut out of the same photo paper.

Originally I cut the lattice out for another card. I painted it yellow and it was all wrong. Then I painted it hunter green and it was too dark. I then painted it cafe which since the green was still wet it gave me this nice green.  When I saw the photo next to it I decided to go ahead and use it for this card.

I am using up my stash of gem stars.but when I saw this star I knew it would be perfect for the center of the snowflake.

I just glued the lattice around the edges so that I can tie a tag with a sentiment on the card if I decide to at a later date.

There you have it two quick cards using lattice other than waiting for the paint to dry. ;-) Other ways to use lattice would be to use lattice as a stencil and then use a color mist or ink. If you are painting your lattice like I did you could paint it on another piece of cardstock and then use that piece  for a card. Lattices also make good good borders for cards or scrapbook pages. A lot of times design-wise they can keep a layout from looking cluttered. They are great for adding texture by weaving ribbon or rickrack  through the holes.  Now if I haven't convinced you yet to use lattice another reason to use it is because you can quickly create an elegant looking card.

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. I am almost done with creating a card using Distress Paint for the background for my focal point. Distress Paints have been on my wishlist for a long time and when I found them on sale for 40% off I had to grab a bunch. Sometimes it pays to wait. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!


1 comment:

  1. I do love a good lattice. You have done a lovely job on both and I wouldn't have a clue which to use for front and which to use for inside.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)