Sunday, January 20, 2013

Valentine Window Card

Right now until 2/4 there is a Moxie Fab Window Challenge.  So I decided to see what I could do along with more experimenting with making a little different window card.. Like usual my plans were changed as I played. Here is the card I came up with.
The card shape is from Silhouette's Christmas three tree card kit. I wanted a little larger card so re-sized it.  The cutout shape is from that file also. I just placed it so that the shape would cut out a window. I took another shape from the file and copied it so that I could make the frame.  I also cut out the transparency in the shape.  I cut two frames out of  scrap paper. This way the frame shows through the cutout on the other side and is pretty instead of just white. I sandwiched the transparency between the two frames.

I had a little accident with the inkjet transparency shape.  It looked like I had a small glob of glue on it  and since it was a scrap I cut it out of that is a possibility. When I went to clean the glue whatever is on it to allow it to be printed on started coming off. So I decided to experiment. I was able to take the coating totally off which gave me a clearer shape. I stamped with Recollections sea foam chalk ink. But because there was not a coating on the transparency it smeared. So I cleaned the chalk ink off and re-stamped with the chalk ink. Then I happened to have sea foam embossing powder so I went ahead and used that otherwise a clear embossing powder could be used..  I heat embossed very carefully not holding my heat tool too long in one spot so that the transparency wouldn't melt. The stamp is Antique Brocade by Hero Arts.  

I cut out by hand the shape of the card out of practice rice paper for the inside since it will not cut with my Cameo. I then used breeze Recollections chalk ink to color it. Because my Valentine's Day stamp is so long it would have showed through the opening. So I stamped Happy on the top and Valentine's Day on the bottom. I then decided to make a couple of heart embellishments for the inside which would show through the opening on the front. First I rubbed Recollection pansy pigment ink on the card stock hearts. Then I had to play with some Distress Crackle Picket Fence Paint I had just bought.  So I brushed that on the hearts. When it was dry I took my finger and rubbed more pansy ink on it. Then I heat embossed it with clear Ultra Thick Enamel in my convection oven.

I was so busy playing that I totally forgot that I was going to paint the gray card stock. Alas my white card stock does not cut nicely so I went with the gray with the idea of changing it. Still I like the way that the card turned out.

My frugal tip is to don't be afraid to experiment. Also if you do have cutting files look at them and see if perhaps you can do something else with them.

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again.

4 comments:

  1. Love the unique shape of the card. The sea foam embossing...OhhLaLa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty with the cut out flourishes and the heat embossing.The Antique Brocade stamp adds even more elegance.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your window card turned out perfect. So much detail went into it. Love the unique shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty card. Love the colours. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)