Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Valentine Card And How I Heat Embossed Small Hearts

I am in creating Valentine's mode. However what I start with and what I end up with seems to be two different things.

 I was recently sorting through a drawer and found a package of  Valentine's type things that had been mailed to me last year. I had gotten the package after Valentine's Day. I ended up using only one sticker from the package as I didn't like the papers with what I had in mind. Here is the card.
I started out with the idea of using this mat. The cutting file is by Sylvia Fernie. It is cut out of a scrap of pearl card stock that was used on the previous card as are the hearts by the sentiment. I backed it with a scrap of pink vellum.

The Sticker in the middle is from a Me and My Big Ideas sticker collection. The small hearts were left over from the snowflake ornaments I made at Christmas time. I heat embossed them with Raspberry Pearl embossing powder the same one I used for the sentiment.

I wove Scrapper Floss by Karen Foster in the holes. I then wrapped the ends around a pencil to get them to curl.

The sentiment is a stamp from the Karen Foster Valentine's Day set. It is heat embossed on a scrap of pink vellum.  The card stock behind it was an after thought when I saw a scrap of it on my work table. After deciding to use it I ended up changing the color of blank card. The small hearts hide the glue used to attach the vellum,

Normally I would use my heat gun for embossing. But because the hearts were so small that I used in the square and would be difficult to hold I did something different. I stamped my embossing ink on them like usual Then carefully placed them on a piece of foil. Instead of pouring embossing powder on them I sprinkled it on using my fingers. In some places it was heavier than others and that is all right as I did not necessarily want an even coat. I then placed the foil with the hearts in my portable convection oven.

 Because the oven was not preheated it took about a minute for the embossing powder to melt. It is trickier heat embossing that way as it is easy to scorch what you are embossing. Also some embossing powders melt quicker than others so you really have to keep a close eye on it. Even though there was some embossing powder on the foil my hearts didn't stick tight. The small melted pieces not on the card stock broke off when I lifted them off.

Well that is all for now folks! Thank you for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Myoriah. I like the way you weaved the string through the pattern. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myoriah it's so nice that you're using your scraps! Love the hearts and the vellum was a nice touch. The pattern looks like a doily and I have a weakness for doily cuts ;).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)