Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Seahorse card + Stencil Card

Hi everyone I'm still waiting for images for my Design Team so decided I would play with metallic pan watercolors. As well as experiment to see if a stencil could be used as a stamp and heat embossed before painting. It was a learning experience and next time I'll use a brayer to apply the ink to the stencil so I get better coverage of ink and embossing powder. The copper water color came to the rescue covering the white areas.

I will be entering this for the Happy Little Stampers watercolor challenge. Details can be found here:
http://www.happylittlestampers.com/2017/06/hls-june-watercolour-challenge.html

I love how this turned out but wish I was not out of waterproof ink so I ended up having to use color pencils for my Seahorse. (Lol! My spending moratorium does not cover such things as buying waterproof ink pads so I can do that. Otherwise this year other than replacing my embossing machine which died I've not been buying crafts things unless I've found them at a thrift store or Dollar Tree and knew I would use them.)

I took my VersaMark embossing ink pad and stamped it all over the stencil. Then I took the stencil and turned it over to the ink side and laid it down on my card stock. I took a rubber brayer and rubbed the stencil down being careful to not move it. Then lifted my stencil up and heat embossed like usual. I have no idea who makes this copper embossing powder. I've had it now for several decades.

Since I had my metallic water colors out after touching up my embossing I went ahead and used the colors for my panes of glass.  I decided using one of my water brushes to not go for a complete coverage of  color in each open area.  Instead I wanted it to look like glass I used to have back in the days when I was making stain glass articles.

I adhered my panel to my base using black electrical tape on both long edges.  Remember you don't always had to use a tape runner or other adhesive. Different types of tape will work just as well. 😄

The Seahorse is a Just For Fun stamp. I used Stazon Timber Brown ink on Patty paper.. Using color pencils I colored some of the areas on the reverse side only and other areas on both the front and back.. Coloring on the back side only gives you a lighter more pastel look. Coloring on the front and back gives you not only darker but more vibrant while still allowing patterns to show through.

Since I didn't want this to be transparent and had not used a waterproof ink I ran my Seahorse after cutting out through Xyron Creative Station.  Tip: If you use waterproof ink and a glue which dries clear your image will be transparent.  Most tape runner adhesives will show through. I have not tried yet adhesive for vellum.

What do you think? Are you going to see about using a stencil as a stamp and heat embossing?

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

1 comment:

  1. Very creative way to use a stencil! Thank you for sharing your project at Happy Little Stampers Watercolour challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)