Saturday, May 9, 2015

Another Card For A Couple Of Chalenges

Hi everyone when I saw sitting on the top shelf a stamp of wings with a key I thought it would be good for the Mixed Media Card challenge this month. Also Stampotique has a stencil challenge for this week and when I saw a new stencil on my work space I knew it was perfect to also use with the stamp. I had to do a lot of playing with my stencil border to get it how I was happy with it. I also decided to see if I could give deco foil more of an antique look. Of course since there were more of the dryer sheet left over it had to be used for the wings. Without further ado here is the card.
Originally I was going to use  wrinkled water color tissue paper for my background but alas while I was taking the tissue paper off my water color paper it ripped.  So the next best thing was to use my water color paper. I did think it was too harsh so went ahead and brushed Liquidtex Iridescent Medium over it. The medium didn't really change the original look but did soften the colors. I wish my camera would have captured the sparkle.

I'm not sure who makes the stencil. It was one I found on sale at Michaels. I placed my stencil on card stock and used gesso.. When the gesso was dry I placed the stencil back down and air brushed. Then I decided to use green metallic rub over it. However I didn't like the results with the background so then rubbed gold metallic rub over it. It looked too brassy. I decided to airbrush with the same marker I used for the heart. Yuck! It turned an awful orange color. Figuring I had nothing to lose I used alcohol solution. It dissolved some of the gesso pattern along with the color. It was still too brassy looking though. So I decided to use black shoe polish like I had used on my foil key. Eureka! Instant antique look.  I didn't want my words to compete with the other elements so I printed using clear label tape.

I bought a few years ago this stamp in one of Michaels bins and never used it. I first stamped it on a scrap piece of dryer sheet and then on a scrap piece of card stock. I used my embossing pen on the wings. Alas I discovered that even Ranger Archival Ink smears using an embossing pen. Then I used Star Dust embossing powder. On the card stock  image I used gold Deco Foil on the key part. I used black shoe polish over the foil. Then I cut the key out.

I didn't like how the wings with the key looked on the background so I took a scrap piece of tissue wrapping paper and my heart stencil. I airbrushed that and then cut out the heart.

I invite you to join in one of the challenges.The mixed media challenge which goes until the 25th Or the Stampotique challenge

Do you ever use things like shoe polish to give an aged look?

I am having so much fun with the wing theme that I may have to create one more card for the challenge. Especially since I have a couple of fairy stamps.

To my women readers I want to wish you a Happy Mother's Day. Also wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!


  1. You have done a very fine job with all your experimenting. Brave girl. :)
    Lovely card.

  2. What a beautiful project, love the use of stencils!! Thanks for joining us this week over at Stampotique.

  3. Wowza. I love how your bg turned out. Very unique and pretty!

  4. Wowza. I love how your bg turned out. Very unique and pretty!

  5. Great card, thanks for joining us over at Stampotique !
    Corrie x

  6. Just Gorgeous!!! Love the layers! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us at MMCC :-)


Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)