Saturday, September 1, 2012

Rip It!

It has been awhile since I have entered a Moxie Fab World Tuesday Trigger. When I saw this image though I could not resist.  I love everything about it. Especially the hexagons and the vintage feel.
 The challenge is open until September 9th. Details can be found here

This is what I came up with after having some fun playing around.LOL! And changing my mind several times on how I was going to go about it.(click to enlarge)



Normally I do not take pictures of my cards laying down but in order to show the lace which is glued inside and peeks out on the outside I had to do that.

The lace was dipped in coffee and then ironed between paper towels while wet. The paper towels  absorbed the extra coffee making the lace lighter. (I have to use that decaf instant up some how. I don't even drink decaf so have no idea how it ended up in the house.) Of course if you want a darker color you can let it air dry. If you are worried about it being acidic of course there are other ways you can color lace and ribbon.

Originally I was going to hand stitch on the circle. In fact I used the offset and text to path and periods to make my holes. LOL! The paint nicely covers those up. I decided to play with my tube metallic water colors. I squirted blobs of paint on the circle and used a cheap bristle brush with a pouncing motion to cover the card stock. When dry I dropped puddles of water in different places and blotted with a paper towel. I love how it ended up looking like copper which has been heated or is developing a patina.

I played around a lot with patterns to fill the hexagons. I finally decided to go with just one pattern and use the scale and pan option in my software for my cutting machine. I filled with color the plain hexagons using the color picker tool. Alas though the lightest color looked great in the software but didn't print out a color. I decided to make a darker blue hexagon picking the blue from the seam ripper. I think it helps to balance the card more. I thought it would be fun to have the middle hexagon a sewing graphic. Alas it didn't stand out when I was playing with how I was going to arrange the hexagons. I wasn't sure how it was going to work using brown shoe polish but figured I could always print and cut another one out. I love the final color after buffing it.

I was pleased to find the picture of the seam ripper. It traced beautifully in my software so I could make it a print and cut. "Keep Calm" seems to be a trendy sentiment so I decided to come up with my own. LOL! I won't tell you how many times I had to grab the seam ripper while trying to remain calm back in my sewing days. So the sentiment could either mean to take out stitches or stay calm and go for something your heart desires.

I hope I have inspired you to perhaps try this challenge or to try a new technique or two. Thanks for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again.


4 comments:

  1. Cute card! You did the challenge just beautifully! I'd also be tmepted to cut those fabric hexagons and make a pin cushion like that, because it's adorable!

    I'm very familiar with ripping out stitches, but I guess I'm behind the itmes with other meanings for the term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a fun fun card, love the lace, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi myoriah,

    Such a lot of work you put into this and anybody who sews will totally appreciate it, for sure. Oh, I've RIPPED before haha!

    Thanks for showing!

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Myoriah! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)