Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Winter Wonderland Challenge #283

Hi everyone with a heavy heart I post today my last project as a guest designer over at Shopping Our Stash. The challenge is to use the Winter Wonderland theme but not Christmas. Today I'm using a digital image by MHK. I decided to do a gesso  print image. Later on I'll be showing a project using a stamped transfer image in gesso. Yes, this mad scientist has been experimenting again. Not being sure if it was going to work I did not take any photos during the process. Also it was a learning experience to see what would work and not work as far as the coloring went. I promise to next time take photos or perhaps a video of the process.

 My frame is a card stock from the Recollection Frosty Cabin collection. I never knew how to use this particular pattern so it has been collecting dust. The snowflakes are the left overs from cutting out a stencil.

The sentiment is part of the sledding friends digital stamp set. It is printed on deli paper. I did change the color of the lettering in a program similar to Microsoft Word.

I don't know if I didn't have enough gesso spread on my card stock or if I didn't have the print totally embedded in the gesso so I got some imperfections in the print. However, since this is a vintage photo it well might have suffered damage over the years. I played around with a couple of water soluble products but they just sat on the surface and I could not blend them the way I wanted. After wiping them off with a paper towel I went with using DecoArt Walnut gel. I kept brushing it on and wiping off until I got the look I wanted.

For those who are curious I use FolkArt white gesso as it is inexpensive and I've had good luck with it. I've been told that all brands are not created the same.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you will come back on Saturday my normal day to post a new project.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again.


5 comments:

  1. Fabulous card, a new technique So happy your enjoyed your month with us at Shopping Our Stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, Wow! I've never heard of printing on deli paper. Such a brilliant idea! Love the aged, vintage look to this! It was such a pleasure having you craft with us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea and it look fabulous!! Thanks so much for joining us this month as a guest designer, I enjoyed seeing your projects :) I hope you have a happy holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being our Guest-Friend at SOS! I loved the written details you include in your posts-- you often share thoughts about processes or products that I think, too! We are not alone, haha! Love this card for the vintage look, plus that bark background is just right-- I love that combo of vintage plus natural.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)