Monday, November 25, 2013

Mobile Christmas Card

I was watching an old episode of Spotted Canary on Public Broadcast television. On this particular show Joy was showing how to frame pictures and hang them so they would twirl in the breeze. My mind immediately thought that idea would make a neat card. I did not use two frames like she did but took the general idea to make my card. This is my first attempt.

 Alas I made the mistake of using some awful recycled white cardstock which is only 65 weight. As you will see in the pictures my card does bend. The other problem was that when I was taking one of my frame card bases off the mat that the card stock actually separated leaving part of the cardstock on the mat. :-( I really should have printed out a new card base. No matter how green you wish to be stay away from Office Depot Recycled cardstock.





I think it would be a little sturdier if the frame was a little thicker I will adjust my cutting file. As well as  definitely use heavier cardstock.

You will want to cut out two frame card bases and two separate frames. The string for the shapes will be sandwiched in between the frames.

Although I used the coil brads from Karen Foster to wrap the string around you can glue the string down.

 I did not get the bottom string as tight on the sentiment shape. So make sure you have your string tight before adhering the other frame.


For the snowflake I only cut one as I decided to tie the crochet thread to the snowflake itself. This snowflake I think comes in the Studio library. I heat embossed it with Stampendous Winter Wonderland embossing powder.



 Mister snowman here was a free file. I used the Marvy Snow Pen on him but think from now on I'll stick with puffy paint. I decided to make two fronts as he loves to twirl around and I didn't want him to be rude and turn his back on people. LOL! I colored him with a Sharpie. Attached ribbon to his hat and ribbon for his mouth. His mouth was cut out so the ribbon is on the backside. Used hot adhesive rhinestones for his eyes and buttons. Glued strips of yarn on for his mittens. Wrapped crotchet thread around his neck for his scarf.


 The mat used here is a piece from Recollections Frosty Winter collection. The embossed piece is DCWV Shimmer Core. When embossed the white core shows through in places. I did go ahead and remove a little more of the top layer with an emery board to give it a distressed look. The Merry Christmas folder is a retired Sizzix one.

I think this would make a cute card for other occasions. Would even be cute as a decor piece in front of a window. I can see this with flowers and butterflies in front of an open window come Spring. What do you think?

O.K. I'm off to clean my "playroom". Especially since I now have a thin coating of embossing powder everywhere as I accidentally held my embossing gun the wrong way and the powder flew out of the tray. LOL! That is what I get for not pouring the powder immediately back into the container.

Thank you for stopping by and do come back. Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the smile!!! In any video I watch, the demonstrater always puts her powder or glitter back in the bottle right away, just saying. LOL
    This is such a cute idea and I love the way you made him such cute striped mittens.
    A spring card sounds like fun.
    The expression on his face is just priceless.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l card. What a lot of work and love that went into it. I hear you about the flimsy cs. I have a package of sturdy SU I use for occassions like this. I love Myrna's comment "just saying." I'll say it too ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)