Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hexagons Always In Style

Some shapes never go out of style and the hexagon is one of them. Maybe because it is such a fun shape to play with. For decades quilters have used the hexagon as part of their design. Grandmother's Garden being one of the quilting patterns that comes to mind.  So where am I going with all of this rambling you may well ask. Moxie Fab World is having right now until July 30th a Hooked On Hexagon Challenge  using hexagons as part of a paper craft project. This has given me the perfect chance to play with hexagons and see what I could come up with.

Normally I don't do much paper piecing but this was a fun challenge. LOL! as well as a challenge to get everything the right size to fit on my pre-made card base. Originally I was going to go the long way and have a foil stem for the flower but after getting everything cut out I ended up going a  different direction.
Here is the card I made. (click on image to enlarge)



The card base is embossed with Divine Swirls. I felt like it needed something and decided to echo the swirls in the paper behind the hexagon frame. The pattern behind the frame is courtesy of ScrapColoring. I found out about this fun online site where you can color patterns on the Silhouette Plus forum.The frame pattern is from the Complete Pattern book and I colored it in Photo Shop. I love how in Studio I can change the scale of papers. I also love how I can match colors in a pattern for solid pieces Not being one to waste paper I decided to glue the hexagon cutouts from the frame on the solid pieces. The small  center hexagons are cut out of foil from  a yogurt container.  I colored the silver side with Wild Plum alcohol ink using a q-tip.   Don't tell anyone but I was awake in the wee hours designing the frame and trying to get the  background paper how I wanted it  It was a little bit of a challenge to get that lovely flower in the center.

For another project I will use the frame part of the file for a stencil. I have lots of ideas for using this frame. I think it would be cute to have photos in each of the hexagon petals. I could especially see this on a scrapbook page.

I would love to hear good or bad what you think of my play with hexagons as I am constantly trying to improve when it comes to card making.

If you wish to see the fabulous entries and I mean fabulous entries hop on over to Moxie Fab World. Also I encourage you to see what you can come up with using hexagons. Especially if like me you haven't really used them in your crafting. O.K. Hip Hop on over the Moxie Fab World using the link below.
 http://www.moxiefabworld.com/2012/07/hooked-on-hexagons-challenge.html

Thank you for stopping by. I have a shape cut out of a foil lid and a canning lid colored but not sure what direction to take as I have so many ideas. Hopefully I'll have a card ready soon using these elements. I also have some more play I want to do with things that are not normally used for cards.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again.

8 comments:

  1. Love the colours, Myoriah, and a lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the card. Cool way to use the hexagon shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty card! I was wondering how I would use that cut - thanks for the inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooohhhh....how pretty! The colors and designs in the hexagons are mesmerizing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... you are really getting to be a whiz with the silhouette! I know what you mean about losing track of time when working on a project... I was deep into a project yesterday "afternoon" (would have sworn it was only about 3 o'clock) when the kids came in to ask me if we were going to have dinner... yikes... it was already 7:30. Hope you're having a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card,very creative and artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work with the hexagon. I like the colours you used. Cool thing to use the foil. You inspired me to keep some foil from my coffee jar the other day. Al wanted to know why I was keeping my foil (having just kept a plastic netting bag from onions) and he said, "my you're full of surprises." Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Myoriah! Thanks for linking this up to the Hooked on Hexagons Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)