Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Altered Playing Cards Week 18

Hi everyone! We are now in week 18 of the Altered Playing card challenge and I have not gotten bored yet. Claudine always has a fun technique or a fun theme. This week the theme was beauty. She used the technique of acrylic paints with water. My backgrounds didn't turn out the way her's did. I think I had too much water and my second card definitely got too wet and ended up being distressed looking. Since she used flowers on her card I decided to use flowers on mine also.

Here is the first card I did and I love how the background turned out.



For the background I placed Ivy green, peridot,sorbet,and copper paint next to each other on an old vinyl place mat.. (Who says you need to put out big bucks for a craft mat). I then misted the paint and took my playing card and literally kept twisting it through the paint. until the whole card was covered. The fun part of this technique is that you are never going to get the exact same look twice. I took a Hero Arts poppy cling stamp and decided to stamp the large flower twice and the not fully opened flower once.  I actually stamped them with Stazon Cactus ink but my airbrush changed the color.  Then taking a Spectrum Noir red marker and my eBrush I brushed the petals. In some places I later went over with the blender marker. I airbrushed the stems also. I used a black Glaze pen to accent the dots. Once again my flowers are adhered with foam adhesive.
The sentiment was once again done with my Brother label maker on clear tape. I first printed the smaller font part of the saying and cut the label apart just before never. Then printed the beauty. I carefully adhered the three pieces of tape together. I love how the clear tape allows the background to show through and in my opinion it is less distracting than printed out on my computer would have been.
For this card I put three different colors of paint on but because the paint and card was too wet the light blue really diluted the other two colors. Note to self go easy on the water even playing cards are fragile when wet. I decided for my flower to experiment. I printed on copy paper a photo of flowers I had taken last Summer. Then transferred the photo to canvas using Creative Medium. I don't know if it was because I used Vintage as I have no clear or what but the flower really lost  the variations of color. I decided to use fabric paint over it  which brought the colors out some and then gave it a puffy center. (See photo below) Because the paint made the flower stiff I was able to shape the petals. I then drew a cloud and put text in it for my sentiment.

There you have it my altered cards for this week. Have you tried to transfer a inkjet photo on fabric? If so what did you use as your transfer medium? Have you tried using a label maker for printing out sentiments?

Over the weekend I played a little bit with some String Gel which I bought on impulse. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to use my interpretation of Jackson Pollock's art. For those who don't know Jackson Pollock was a modern art pioneer. He didn't just splash paint on canvas he thought out where he wanted the drips and splashes to go. Even using a brush to help the drips go the direction he wanted them to go. He would walk around his canvas on the floor to decide if he needed to add something somewhere. To be honest I'm not a fan of most modern art but his work at least to me has a mystical quality to it.

Thank you for stopping by. Do come back. I'm hoping that soon I'll be able to post a Valentine card which is totally gorgeous. I hate having to wait but when you are guest designer it has to be posted somewhere else first. ;-)

I challenge you  this year to make time to create. The more you create the more creativity builds up inside of you.

Wishing you Happy Frugal Crafting till we meet again!

3 comments:

  1. Two stunning cards. Both are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything about your first card.
    Your second card really has some interesting detail (burlap).
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I recognized those poppies as being Hero Arts. I've had my eye on that stamp for ages and ages! Wonderful cards. You put so much effort and energy into your work. Love to read all the details so I understand how you got to your finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)